Wildcat tennis begins season in Missouri

0
24
Head coach Danielle Steinberg concentrates on how her team is performing during the match against Missouri State on Feb. 11, 2015 at Body First Tennis and Fitness Center. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The women’s tennis team begins the spring season in Missouri tomorrow with a doubleheader against two Missouri Valley Conference teams, Missouri State and Evansville.

This is the second year in a row that K-State has had a meet against Missouri State. Last year the event was in Manhattan, and the Wildcats won 5-2. The meet, however, wasn’t a dual meet like it is this year, so K-State did not play Evansville.

When talking about the event this weekend, head coach Danielle Steinberg told K-State Sports she thinks this team has what it takes to handle the event.

“A doubleheader is always tough, physically but also mentally,” Steinberg said. “Physically, we have been working hard all fall to prepare and be strong enough to play at a high level twice a day, and I hope that will be the case on Saturday. Mentally, the girls will have to learn to ‘get up’ in the morning and then do it again in the afternoon with no letdowns. Every opponent we play this year is dangerous, and we need to be ready to battle every day out there.”

K-State had a successful fall season driven by a young team devoid of seniors. Being young and having some success in the fall can be a huge momentum booster for a team.

Saturday can be another opportunity for the Wildcats to improve and build as a team while they get ready for Big 12 play. Steinberg told K-State Sports she likes the way this group has prepared since they returned from winter break.

“It’s been a great first week of practice,” Steinberg said. “The girls came back with the right mindset and ready to work. I think we are all excited and anxious to play our first matches and really see what this team can do.”

Missouri State will host tomorrow’s event. It will take place at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Missouri. K-State will take on Missouri State at 10 a.m. and Evansville at 3 p.m. The home-opener for the Wildcats will be on Feb. 5 against Colorado.