K-State tennis sweeps Missouri State

0
51
Then-sophomore Carolina Costamagna winds up for a return during a women's tennis practice on Oct. 7, 2015. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

What was originally supposed to be a doubleheader for the K-State tennis team turned into a single meet against Missouri State. Evansville, the second team in the doubleheader, was unable to make it because of the weather that hit the Midwest.

The Wildcats defeated Missouri State 7-0. When asked about how she thought the team performed, head coach Danielle Steinberg said she was happy with the results.

“I am pretty pleased with our showing considering it is our first match,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “You always want to get those first-match jitters out of the way, and I am hoping we did just that today.”

K-State had three doubles teams that competed: sophomore Carolina Costamagna and freshman Millie Stretton, freshman Ana Garcia Navas and junior Iva Bago and sophomore Sara Castellano and junior Maria Panaite. All three doubles teams won for the Wildcats.

“Our doubles looked better than it did in practice, which is encouraging,” Steinberg said. “The girls came out with a lot of energy and played aggressively throughout the doubles point and worked really well together. We obviously still have a long way to go, but the most encouraging aspect from today is that we were not even close to showing our true ability, and we were still able to come out strong in all the matches.”

Costamagna, Stretton, Garcia Navas, Bago and Castellano all competed in the singles matches also, along with the sixth singles player, junior Livia Cirnu. They all picked up victories that contributed to K-State’s sweep.

K-State will look to build on the results from Saturday while gearing up to head to Pullman, Washington, to take on Washington State and North Texas. The two-day event will start Friday and continue Saturday.