What students are really doing at night

0
115
Jacob Ginder, freshman in electrical engineering, falls asleep while trying to get some studying done at Hale Library during dead week on Dec. 10, 2015. (File Photo by Jessica Robbins | The Collegian)

After school, work and extra curricular activities, unwinding before bed by checking Facebook and watching Snap stories can seem harmless, but these habits can prevent students from getting sufficient sleep at night.

A common ritual some students have before they go to bed is checking social media. Students today live in a time where everyone knows what everyone is doing, and they have many different platforms to find out.

“I check Twitter before I go to bed because I follow many different sports announcers, and I want to see what they have to say about the games that were on throughout the evening,” Samuel Tagtmeyer, senior in construction science and management, said.

Social media can be used for more than news updates, according to Tagtmeyer. He said he follows comedic sites and often watches “fail” videos before going to sleep.

Social media can do people more harm than they know, John Gever, managing editor of MedPageToday, said in his article “Social Media and Sleep: Is There a Problem?” Sleeping habits of students from Texas were studied, revealing that those who said they check social media before going to bed showed significantly more signs of sleep and mood disorders. People in the study suffered from insomnia, daytime sleepiness and risk for sleep apnea, according to the article.

For some students, taking naps is one of the easiest ways to stay energized throughout the day.

“I never really took naps until last year, but they’ve really helped me stay awake throughout the day,” Tim Rodden, senior in sociology, said. “Before I started (taking) naps, I would always feel terrible around 5 p.m.”

Some students have rituals before they even get into bed at the end of the day.

“I always grab ice water before I go to bed, just in case I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty,” Tagtmeyer said.

Natalie Gonzales, junior in public relations, said she needs a companion with her while she is sleeping.

“My cat is always crawling into bed with me, and if she isn’t there with me I can’t go to sleep,” Gonzales said.