Four game winning streak cut down by the No. 6 Longhorns

0
33

The Wildcats knew it wouldn’t be easy but the K-State women saw their four game winning streak come to an end, falling to No. 6 Texas by a score of 66-51.

K-State started the game off with a 3-0 run to get things going. The Cats would then build a lead as big as 7 before the Longhorns would battle back, cutting the K-State advantage to 15-12 to end the 1st quarter of play.

“I thought we have done a good job having fast starts these past five games, especially during our four-game win streak.” K-State sophomore guard Shaelyn Martin said.

The 2nd quarter was not as friendly to the Wildcats.

K-State could not score like they did in the first quarter as the Longhorns had a 14-0 run to take the lead away.Texas would then go on to outscore the Wildcats 17-6 in the quarter.

Even after the damage of the second quarter, the Wildcats still managed to only be down 29-21 at the half.

“I am going to have to look back on it but they were not scoring and getting a lot of easy stuff either,” head coach Jeff Mittie said. “I will have to look back on it. Some of the things that I felt like coming into the game that we would have opportunities at we did not execute very well. That is on me.”

K-State’s third quarter would not be much better than the second. The Wildcats would continue to struggle to score points while Texas just managed to outscore the Wildcats enough to keep a big enough lead. The defense however was a little better with a fairly low scoring quarter for both teams.

The fourth quarter would be the best for the Wildcats since the first. It was also the highest scoring quarter of the whole game. Texas would outscore K-State 24-21. The Wildcats had sparks in the quarter but Texas had an answer every time K-State had something going. Wildcat star Breanna Lewis, who led K-State in scoring with 12, would foul out ending her night early.

Neither team shot particularly well from the field. Texas shot 37.7% for the game while K-State shot 35.6%. The real problem for K-State was that they shot 4-18 from three point range. Texas knew about the perimeter game so they knew they needed to stop it.

“Well considering with what (junior guard) Kindred Wesemann did to us last year, our first priority was not let her have eight to ten threes,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “So, that was a pretty big priority. Sometimes when that happens you pick your poison, and I thought we gave up some buckets to Bre Lewis and the other post players.”

With the loss K-State dropped to 14-6 overall and 4-5 in Big 12 play.

Next the Wildcats will take on another top 10 foe when they take on the Baylor Bears.