New K-State Police officer looks to prevent campus crimes

0
464

Officer Randy Myles is the newest addition to the K-State Police Department, after being hired through a Community Oriented Policing Services nationwide grant. Myles was hired to focus on the deterring and prevention of theft, sexual assault and drugs in the K-State community.

“The COPS grant is open for all law enforcement agencies in the United States, and K-State Police was granted one position in the area of community policing,” Donald Stubbings, assistant director of campus police, said.

The grant requires the hired officer to focus on protection of critical infrastructure, as well as engaging the community and the full department on a community oriented plan.

“By adding Officer Myles, this allows us to focus on some areas of our critical infrastructure, such as the areas Myles will be educating on,” Stubbings said.

Myles will be working on programs for students and staff alike. The goal is to educate our campus community on how vulnerable we can be to crime, and how to prevent it. The programs will also touch on how to report a crime if it does happen to you.

“This is not a death by PowerPoint program,” Myles said. “These crimes can happen anywhere at any time of day. It is time to be educated on how to protect yourself.”

Theft prevention will be a highlight of this program. Some areas where students and staff increase their vulnerability to crime include instances such as leaving bikes unlocked or leaving a backpack full of keys, money and other belongings on a table in a public area.

“As an international student, I am excited this program will teach us how to be safe and what crimes happen on campus,” Camila Bravo, senior in elementary education, said. “I did not know what to be aware of when coming to this campus.”

Myles said he will also be promoting the LiveSafe app. According to Stubbings, the LiveSafe app can be used to report anything from a lost puppy to suspicious activities. He said the app helps to establish communications and engagement between the K-State police and the community.

“I am most excited to get in the K-State community and build a partnership,” Myles said. “We are here for (students and staff) and here to serve them. We want to make sure everybody is safe in this learning environment.”

According to Stubbings, the grant has enabled K-State police to continue building their connection with students and faculty. This is about the sharing of information.

“This brings us back to, ‘If you see something, say something,'” Stubbings said.

Stubbings also said the officers are excited to bring more visibility of themselves on campus so the community feels more comfortable in reporting crime and communicating with law enforcement.

“I’d just like to say I am extremely blessed to have been put in this position,” Myles said. “K-State Police has been very helpful and I’m very proud to put the uniform on.”

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!