Silver Key does community service with Harvesters

Students of K-State Silver Key and Wheat State Agronomy Club work as a team in the Frith Community Center building on Jan. 30, 2016 to pack canned foods into bags that will be distributed to the Manhattan school district. (Emily Lenk | The Collegian)

The K-State Silver Key Honorary Chapter hosted a group of workers from Harvesters to help pack sack lunches for the community of Manhattan on Saturday.

Within two hours, a group of 50 students packed 1,920 sack lunches that will be distributed to the Manhattan-Ogden School District, Fort Riley USO and Community Health Ministry in Wamego and Alma.

“I chose this project because I like knowing that the work we are doing right now is going to immediately help our surrounding community,” Kyle Apley, sophomore in chemistry and leader for the service project, said. “The great thing is that we don’t have to go very far or do something extravagant to make an impact. Something as simple as packing a few sack lunches can change someone’s day.”

While this service project was put on by Silver Key Honorary, the invitation to help out was also passed on to potential Silver Key members, Quest, Chimes, Mortarboard and Wheat State Agronomy Club, which helped sponsor the event.

“Although I am not a Silver Key member, I think the invitation to come help was great,” Shai Washington, senior in political science, said. “We are all students that enjoy volunteering our time and we don’t get to interact with each other often, so this is a great opportunity.”

The event took place in the Frith Community Center at Jardine, and was all hands on deck at a fast pace. Work that was expected to take a little over two hours to finish was done in only one. Carla Jones, assistant vice president for student life and the Silver Key adviser for the past 22 years, said that this year’s event stands near the top in most successful and enjoyable.

“The organization of the event was timely and effective, the number of people that showed up to help and the overall atmosphere of the room was at an all-time high and I am very proud of Kyle Apley for being able to organize this for everyone,” Jones said. “We have great students and I am very proud of all of them.”