SGA member’s bill passes House

0
96

Lifeline 911, a bill that would provide medical amnesty for underage alcohol consumption, passed the Kansas House of Representatives, Student Governing Association State Relations Director Brodie Herrman told senators at the SGA meeting Thursday.

Andy Hurtig, student body president and senior in accounting, Tom Phillips, Republican representative from Manhattan, and Tom Hawk, Democratic senator from Manhattan, all testified in support of the bill, which was written by Herrman.

Herrman said if the Kansas Senate votes yes, then the bill will go to Gov. Sam Brownback. If the Senate votes no, the bill will go to a conference committee.

If the bill ends up in a conference committee, Herrman said he is worried the bill will be used as a bargaining chip.

Garrett Kays, senior in agricultural economics, said the Privilege Fee Committee approved the use of funds for renovations to the Chester E. Peters Recreation Complex. A maximum of $190,000 will be spent to make improvements to the racquetball doors and field lighting. The Rec’s reserve account has around $900,000, according to the SGA meeting agenda.

The Student Senate Special Committee on Smoking and Tobacco was formed.

Senators discussed amendments to the graduate student council elections statutes and bylaws.

Amendments were introduced to the SGA bylaws concerning the chair of the student engagement committee and the senate intern program.

SGA introduced several bills for allocations to student organizations. The bills will be voted on at the next meeting.

The allocations include $800 for the Kappa Sigma Upsilon Chapter of the American Criminal Justice Association, $1,000 for the Milling Science Club, $1,254.93 for the Harry Potter Alliance, $3,110 for On the Spot Improv Club, $500 for the American Choral Directors Association, $830 for the Vietnamese Student Association, $1,000 for the Black Student Union, $1,000 for the Hispanic American Leadership Organization, $1,000 for LGBT and Allies and $1,010 for the Kansas State Meat Science Association.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.