Tennis takes advantage of Colorado collapse in comeback win

0
56
Millie Stretton, freshman, vollies back to the Colorado Buffaloes on Feb. 7, 2016 inside the Body First Tennis Facility. (Mason Swenson | The Collegian)

K-State Tennis did not have the best start against Colorado. K-State would, however, come back and win the meet by a score of 4-3.

“Today was tough,” K-State head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “It was such a roller coaster.”

The Wildcats dropped two out of three in the doubles matches, losing the doubles point to go down 1-0.

Sophomore Sara Castellano lost in two sets in the No. 1 singles. Then, freshman Ana Garcia Navas forced three sets but could not come out on top for K-State in the No. 2 singles match. This put the Wildcats down 0-3 and they needed to win the remaining four matches to have a chance at winning the meet.

Sophomore Carolina Costamagna dropped her first set in the No. 3 position, but she won the next two sets to help build momentum for the rest of the team. In the No. 4 singles, junior Iva Bago won her first set but dropped her second. In the third set, she regained control and won the match, putting K-State down 2-3 with two matches remaining.

In the No. 5 singles, junior Livia Cirnu had the easiest match and won in straight sets. Cirnu’s victory meant the Wildcats only needed to win one more match to complete their comeback.

It all came down to freshman Millie Stretton to clinch the victory for the Wildcats. She did just that, winning her first and third sets. Steinberg said she was happy with the results.

“I think this was huge for our team to know that we can win close matches because this was an issue in the past,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “Today there were so many three-setters, and we were able to close them. This is a team that we lost 4-0 to last year. For me personally, it is great to see the progress and the girls competing.”

The win gives K-State a 3-1 record on the season. The Wildcats will be back in action Wednesday in Columbia, Missouri, as they take on yet another former Big 12 foe, the Missouri Tigers.