Shakespeare in Love: A Romeo and Juliet masquerade

0
287

Shakespeare in Love: A Romeo and Juliet Masquerade will be held from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Saturday in the Great Room of Hale Library. It will feature a costume contest, live DJ, dancing, desserts and a performance of the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene by K-State theater students.

“There are no requirements for dressing up, but there will be a costume contest and the event is a great place to meet people,” Don Hedrick, professor of English, said. “It will be fun and everybody will be in good spirits.”

While there are no requirements for dressing up, there will be prizes for the best costume, according to the event’s Facebook page.

“I love the creativity that goes into each of those costumes,” Stephanie Wallace, junior in English and English department ambassador, said. “It allows me to see what other people hold near and dear to their hearts, which is otherwise hidden by everyday apparel.”

Kara Northway, associate professor of English, said the event combines two of Shakespeare’s loves.

“I think Shakespeare would have gone to this,” Northway said. “He would have thought it sounded fun. He loved music and drama and this event has both of those things.”

This year is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, and in honor, The Folger Shakespeare Library sent a copy of Shakespeare’s “First Folio” to every state in the U.S. The Folio is currently in Manhattan for “Shakespeare in the Little Apple.”

The First Folio was published in 1623 and there are only 233 known copies to this day. It is a collection of Shakespeare’s plays, including “Macbeth,” “Julius Caesar,” “Twelfth Night” and many more.

K-State has put on a number of events all month to promote the folio and its trip to Kansas. There has been a Pub Crawl and a live performance of one of Shakespeare’s most popular plays, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” The most student-oriented event is the Masquerade Ball, Northway said.