Women’s golf begins spring season in unique fashion

0
44
Junior Madison Talley chips onto hole 14 at Colbert Hills on October 13, 2015, during a team practice. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

It’s the month of February and in Kansas, that means the weather outside is still cold. But down in the state of Florida, it’s warm, it’s sunny and it’s time for golf season to start once again.

Florida is the destination of the K-State women’s golf team. The golfers will head down to Tallahassee, Florida, to partake in the Florida State Match-Up at the Don Veller Seminole Golf Course and Club today.

“The team is excited to travel to Tallahassee and play Seminole Golf Course this week,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “This is a unique event as it is two competitions in one. There is a two-team event to go along with the traditional tournament.”

This is no normal tournament for K-State. It will feature teams pairing up with other teams to compete for the team championship. The Wildcats will be paired up with Southern Methodist University for the contest.

The Wildcats hope to play well with the Mustangs by picking up in 2016 where they left off in 2015.

This will be the first time the Wildcat women golfers have competed in a tournament since they participated in the Betsy Rawls Invitational at the UT Golf Club in Austin, Texas, back on October 19-20.

At that tournament, they finished in 11th place.

The Wildcats finished in the top 10 in four of the five fall tournaments they competed in as a team. K-State will look for this success to continue in the spring campaign.

Finding success in this tournament will be no easy challenge for the Wildcats. Twelve teams will be playing in the Florida State Match-Up. Of those 12 teams, eight are ranked in the top 50 of GolfWeek’s Women’s Team Collegiate Rankings, and three of those eight are in the top 20.

Competing on the links for the Wildcats will be junior Madison Talley, senior Scotland Preston, junior Paige Nelson, junior Katherine Gravel-Coursol and freshman Chloe Weir.

Friday’s action will begin for the teams at 7:30 a.m., while Saturday and Sunday’s rounds will both tee off at 7 a.m.