Wildcats shoot themselves in foot with 55-58 loss to Cowboys

0
71
Junior forward Austin Budke exits the court after the Jayhawks' victory in the first leg of the annual Sunflower Showdown Feb. 3, 2016, in Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kansas. (File Photo by Parker Robb | The Collegian)

The feeling the Wildcats woke up with last Sunday is the polar opposite of how they woke up this Sunday.

The Wildcats defeated then-No.1 Oklahoma in Bramlage Coliseum 80-69 on Feb. 6, but a loss to Baylor on Wednesday and a loss Saturday to Oklahoma State has K-State not feeling so great.

The Wildcats had their first “bad” loss of the season to the Cowboys 55-58 on Saturday in overtime at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The Cowboys played without two of their most important pieces, freshman guard Jawun Evans and senior guard Phil Forte, but they still found a way to beat the tournament-hopeful Wildcats.

K-State got off to a slow start, trailing 11-4 at the first media timeout. With 10 minutes to go in the first half, the Cowboys extended their lead to 20-8, which was their biggest of the game.

K-State went on an 8-0 run to cut the deficit to four with six minutes left in the half. The Wildcats got within two with 30 seconds in the half, but a 3-point basket by the Cowboys’ junior forward Leyton Hammonds gave Oklahoma State a 27-22 lead at half.

The Wildcats were down 32-26 five minutes into the second half, but a 10-3 run propelled by senior Justin Edwards gave K-State its first lead of the game at 36-35. A 3-point basket by freshman forward Dean Wade put the Wildcats up by four, but the Cowboys responded by getting the next six points and regaining the lead 41-39.

Both teams went back and forth the rest of the half with neither team holding more than a two-point lead.

With 10 seconds left and the game tied at 52, Wildcat freshman guard Barry Brown drove into the lane but missed the shot as the ball squirted out toward half court.

Cowboy senior guard Jeff Newberry grabbed the ball and made the basket, a 35-foot buzzer beater. Later it was determined that the ball didn’t leave his hand in time, which forced an overtime.

Oklahoma State had a 57-52 lead with one minute to go in overtime, but the Wildcats cut into the lead after a free throw and a layup.

After a Cowboy free throw, K-State had 10 seconds to tie the game with a 3-pointer. The Wildcats shot three attempts but none of them went in, giving them yet another road loss and putting them 0-3 in overtime games this season.

Since last season, the Wildcats have won only one game in the Big 12 on the road, which was against Oklahoma on Jan. 10, 2015.

K-State was led in scoring by Edwards, who had 14 points, and the Cowboys were led by Hammonds, who provided 13.

“I anticipated a hard-fought game,” K-State head coach Bruce Weber said. “They’ve had a lot of close games outside of the Kansas game where they kicked their butt. Baylor came down to the last couple of plays; Iowa State came down to the last couple of plays; against Oklahoma, Carroll’s shot bounces off the rim; Texas Tech went to overtime. Travis (Ford), with losing a couple of players — one for the whole year and one for a while now — has done a good job of keeping them together and making them compete and play hard.”

K-State and Oklahoma State are now tied for eighth in the conference at 3-8, while the Wildcats are 14-11 overall and the Cowboys are 12-13 overall.

The Wildcats will hit the road again on Tuesday when they travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on TCU at 7 p.m. TCU is the only Big 12 team the Wildcats have yet to face this season.