Opinion: Bandwagon against Cam Newton has run off the road

0
45

What we all saw on television two weeks ago was the Denver Broncos defeating the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl.

The week after, all we heard about was how Cam Newton was a sore loser and should have answered more than three minutes of questions at the postgame press conference.

Now a week later, we actually have clarification on some missing details. Newton was not, in fact, a sore loser, and he shook Peyton Manning’s hand with genuine congratulations on his win, according to Scott Gustin’s MyFox 8 article “Why you’re wrong about Cam Newton (and the post game press conference).”

“While Cam was fielding questions about his team’s loss, he was forced to listen to Harris brag about the Broncos’ strategy for shutting down the Panthers,” the article said.

What good is the Super Bowl postgame press conference, anyway?

We know the score, the press conference isn’t necessarily televised and it is always the same. The winning team gloats and the losing team is morose. I’m sure we all learn something from having to continually go through that.

And this isn’t the first time in recent history the press has dramatically gotten things wrong.

Years ago, Manning walked off the field in his own Super Bowl loss without even shaking the winners’ hands, according to Erick Fernandez’s Huffington Post article “That Time Peyton Manning Was A Bad Sport and Barely Anyone Cared.”

Was Manning’s exit a show of bad sportsmanship? Maybe, but I would also argue that wading into the other team’s celebration to grab camera time could just as easily be seen as glory hogging.

From the past two Super Bowls, the media have focused in on two Seahawks players for their lack of grace, only to have to admit they weren’t paying attention.

Last year, former Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch was in the media spotlight for his behavior at a press conference. He replied to every question he was asked with his famous line, “I’m just here so I don’t get fined.”

In the Yahoo article “Marshawn Lynch talks about why he doesn’t talk to the media,” Lynch essentially said his dislike of press conferences is because of his lack of trust in the media.

After the case of his teammate, Richard Sherman, I too would be distrustful of the media.

The previous year, the NFC Championship that saw the Seahawks defeat the San Francisco 49ers ended with Sherman’s rant caught on camera. What the press found, however, was that Sherman had been shoved aside after the game by Michael Crabtree, the reciever he was covering on the last play, according to the Monday Morning Quarterback article “To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse.”

What did the “thuggish” Sherman say to Crabtree? Well, he said, “Good game,” and offered Crabtree a handshake.

I can understand hyping up a big game and the press wanting to know what happened on the field, but they seem to have a nasty habit of making villains out of people who are playing a game, while also making the losing team feel worse during their postgame press conference.

I do not think there should be a press conference for the losing team, and the media needs to more sympathetic when doing the postgame interviews.