SGA allocates funds for student groups

0
58

The Student Governing Association allocated funds for several student organizations at its Thursday meeting.

Engineers Without Borders was allocated $500 for seven members to travel to Antigua, Guatemala, March 12-20 to construct a schoolhouse that has been designed by members of the organization.

The Apparel Marketing and Design Alliance received $800 to take 12 students to Bentonville, Arkansas, April 7-9 to visit the Walmart home office.

The Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club was allocated $1,000 to attend the Pre-Veterinary Medical Symposium at Purdue University March 11-13.

Pi Sigma Epsilon, a sales and marketing fraternity within the College of Business Administration, received $1,000 for 10 students to go to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to attend the National Conference in Sales Management from March 22-27.

The 2016 Open House budget, which is limited to $10,025 per year and is dispersed among all requests, was allocated. The College of Agriculture Ambassadors received $2,311.57, Interior Architecture and Product Design received $408.22, the Arts and Sciences Ambassadors received $1,450, the College of Education student council received $1,755.75, Steel Ring received $2,216.97, the College of Human Ecology student council received $1,882.49 and the College of Veterinary Medicine received $0.

The bylaws concerning nominations and elections of the speaker of the student Senate were changed. Now, the speaker of the Senate will be nominated at the first meeting and debated upon and elected at the second meeting.

Senators also introduced amendments to the SGA Constitution concerning the GPA and number of credit hours required of student senators. For undergraduates, a 2.0 GPA and 12 credit hours are required. For graduate students, a 3.0 and six credit hours are required.

Senators discussed establishing a special committee on student Senate membership.

A resolution was introduced in opposition to Kansas Senate Bill 175.

There were several allocations introduced for student groups to be voted on at the meeting.

The WellCAT Ambassadors asked for $200 to travel to the Meeting of the Minds Conference April 7-9 in Kansas City, Kansas.

Alpha Zeta honorary fraternity requested $200 for two students to go to Gainesville, Florida, for the National Agricultural Leadership Conference March 16-20.

The Plant Pathology Graduate Student Club requested $500 to take 15 members to St. Louis, Missouri, June 27-28 to tour the Danforth Plant Sciences Center and the Monsanto Company.

Creative Writing Enthusiasts requested $700 to take seven students to the annual Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference in Los Angeles, California, March 30-April 1.

The Global Supply Chain Club asked for $400 to go to the Global Supply Chain Club National Conference in Des Moines, Iowa, April 1-2.

The Wildcat Wind Power Team was recommended $200 for 20 members to compete in the Collegiate Wind Competition in New Orleans, Louisiana, May 21-26.

The Feed Science Club requested $1,000 to tour four educational sites at Abilene, Russell, Leoti and Ulysses, Kansas, April 14-15.

Edgerly-Franklin Urban Leaders requested $1,000 for 15 members for a spring break service trip March 13-18 in Kansas City, Kansas.

The National Society of Pershing Rifles requested $900 to attend and compete at the Pershing Rifles National Convention Drill Competition in Washington, D.C., March 9-14.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.