SGA votes against religious discrimination

0
174

The Student Governing Association focused on inclusiveness during its Thursday meeting.

A resolution was unanimously passed condemning Kansas Senate Bill 175, which would make K-State SGA “complicit in supporting discriminatory practices of student organizations,” according to the resolution.

The SGA resolution calls on the Kansas House of Representatives to oppose the bill. If passed, the bill would allow religious student associations to discriminate based on “sincerely held religious beliefs,” according to the resolution.

Bryon Williams, assistant director for undergraduate admissions, adjunct professor of leadership studies and adviser for the Black Student Union, spoke to SGA about diversity, inclusion and social justice.

“The inclusionary environment on campus is not where it needs to be,” Williams said.

Williams urged SGA to create a social justice campaign for the university. His address invoked questions from student senators about how to improve diversity on campus and ways to get constituents involved.

Amendments to the SGA constitution regarding GPA and credit hour requirements for senators were referred back to the Senate Operations Committee after the wording on an additional amendment could not be agreed upon.

Currently, undergraduate student senators are required to maintain 12 credit hours and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be eligible to run for office. Graduate student senators are required to maintain six credit hours and a cumulate GPA of 3.0 to be eligible to run for office.

The proposed amendment suggests the same requirements for student senators to be eligible to remain in office, as there are no current requirement for student senators in office now. The additional amending suggests a minimum of six undergraduate credit hours for last semester graduating seniors, allowing student senators to remain in their positions if they cannot fill their last semester.

The creation of a special committee on Student Senate membership was passed.

A resolution was passed to formally commend Bryan Pinkall, assistant professor of music, for his Grammy Award for Best Choral Performance.

Austin Harrell, junior in education and social studies, was approved to fill a vacancy as a student senator for the College of Education.

SGA also allocated funds for a variety of student organizations.

WellCAT Ambassadors received $200 to travel to the Meeting of the Minds Conference in Kansas City, Kansas.

The Alpha Zeta fraternity was allocated $200 to take two students to Gainesville, Florida, for the National Agricultural Leadership Conference.

The Plant Pathology Graduate Student Club will travel to St. Louis with 15 members to tour the Danforth Plant Sciences Center and the Monsanto Company and will receive $500.

Creative Writing Enthusiasts were allocated $600 to take seven students to the annual Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference in Los Angeles.

The Global Supply Chain Club received $400 to attend its national conference in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Wildcat Wind Power Team will take 20 members to New Orleans for the Collegiate Wind Competition and was allocated $200.

Feed Science Club members will travel to four educational locations in Kansas and will receive $1,000.

Edgerley-Franklin Urban Leaders was allocated $1,000 for a spring break service trip to Kansas City, Kansas, for 15 members.

The National Society of Pershing Rifles will attend a competition and national convention in Washington D.C. and will receive $900.

Travel allocations were introduced for the Engineering Student Council, Pre-Physician’s Assistant Club, the Society of Human Resource Management, Pinkey Promise KSU, Wildcat Rocketry Club, the American Nuclear Society, the Institute of Management Accountants, the International Tuba and Euphonium Association and KSU Strength Club.

Additional requests for allocations went to the College of Agriculture Student Council to bring speaker Kelly Barnes to Ag Fest, Sigma Alpha Iota to fund an opera event at All Faiths Chapel and the International Coordination Council to host an event called International Week.