K-State rowing starts spring season in Oklahoma

0
162
Senior Meggie Murray reveals her energy loss during practice on Apr. 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

K-State rowers opened their spring season on Saturday in Oklahoma City with a race against the Oklahoma Sooners.

The morning session on the Oklahoma River started out with some shorter-distance scrimmages as the teams got used to being back on the water.

“This morning’s racing was close and competitive,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “We saw some good execution of the things we have been working on at the Intercollegiate Rowing Center.”

The race was only the Wildcats’ third time on the water since January because the weather forced the to do most of their training indoors.

Sweeney said before this weekend’s race they were looking to see where everybody was at after the time off the water. He said the afternoon’s 2k races showed where improvements needed to be made.

“In the afternoon 2k racing, Oklahoma’s results showed the importance of time on the water by beating us over the longer distance,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Our performances were not bad, but we now have an indication of what we need to work on.”

The race gave the Wildcats some valuable time on the water in a competitive environment.

The Wildcats look to use this experience in their practices, as they get more time on the water during their upcoming spring camp in Tulsa, Oklahoma. After a week of training, the team will race against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes on March 19.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.