Red-hot K-State baseball set to face Creighton

0
93
Senior Corey Fischer pitches against Arkansas at Pine Bluff in the second inning on March 4, 2016. The Wildcats went on to sweep the Golden Lions for the series. (Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State baseball team is clicking on all cylinders right now. After opening up their season in California and then traveling down to Arizona, the Wildcats were 2-4 entering their two-game series with the Utah Utes.

K-State has since rattled off five wins in a row and now sits at 7-4 on the season after sweeping University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff this past weekend.

“It was a good offensive output,” K-State head coach Brad Hill said on the Brad Hill Show Monday. “It wasn’t Oregon State, it’s not Big 12, but at the same time, you play the opponents that are in front of you. I think the biggest thing that you try to get across to your kids is that you’re trying to worry about your game and you’re trying to keep yourself together and what you need to do.”

The Wildcats look to extend their winning streak today when they host the 6-3 Creighton Bluejays inside the gates of Tointon Family Stadium. K-State leads the all-time series between the two squads 50-39-1.

Junior outfielder Daniel Woodrow is the top Bluejay on Creighton’s roster offensively.

Woodrow is batting .415 on the season, has scored seven runs and has recorded five RBIs. He will be a potent attack, so K-State’s Logan Wiley, 0-0 with a 6.23 ERA, will not be able to give any easy pitches to him.

K-State is undoubtably led early in the season by Big 12 Player of the Week junior infielder Jake Wodtke.

Wodtke leads the Wildcats on the offensive side with a batting average of .488 and 15 RBIs. He also shares the lead of runs scored on the year at 14.

“It’s hard to describe right now what he’s going through,” Hill said on the show. “I never experienced it — to have a guy that hot right now and playing at a level that really has been a mess. You talk about some great players that came through here, and obviously we’re only three weeks into the season, but for the three-week period, I’m not sure there’s been a (Nick) Martini, (Ross) Kivett … there’s a lot of guys that I’m not sure in a three-week stretch have been doing what Jake Wodtke’s done.”

Junior left-handed pitcher Jeff Albrecht will lead Creighton on the mound. He enters the game with an 0-0 record and a 2.84 ERA. Albrecht will be a tough challenge for Wodtke and company.

First pitch between K-State and Creighton is at 3:05 p.m. today.