SGA requires 2.0 GPA for undergraduate Senate members

0
75

Changes for voting procedures, filling vacancies and financial allocations for academic competition teams were discussed at the Student Governing Association meeting Thursday.

Possible changes for the layout of SGA presidential elections were brought to the floor, including changing the format of primary elections.

Jack Ayers, Special Committee on Senate Membership chair and senior in chemical engineering, presented a plan of action on filling vacant seats.

“We’re trying to solidify the time process,” Ayers said.

The plan fills the seat with a temporary senator in the form of an intern until additional candidates are available to fill the seat.

Kevin Klein, treasurer, chair of the University Allocations Committee and senior in mechanical engineering, said the financial needs of academic competition teams exceeded the $45,000 initially disbursed to them through the Student Activity Fee Privilege Fee agreement.

“The need for funding has only increased,” Klein said. “For the time being this is the best we can do. This extra $40,000 will not break the bank.”

It was voted that academic competition teams be specially allocated $40,000 for fiscal year 2017, creating a new total of $85,000 that will be dispersed to academic competition teams.

Another $10,000 in additional funds was also voted to be disbursed from the Reverse for Contingencies Account to college council organizations, as requests for funding from college council organizations have increased.

The Senate Membership Committee revised the GPA and credit hour requirements brought to the floor last week.

The bill currently states that undergraduate student senators must maintain 12 undergraduate credit hours, and graduate students must maintain six hours of graduate credit to be eligible to remain in office. The GPA requirements are an average cumulative GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate student senators and an average cumulative GPA of 3.0 for graduate student senators.

To accommodate all student senators who may not need or want to take a full course load, exceptions to the credit hour requirement may be granted after hearings with the Senate Operations Standing Committee.

From March 23-24, SGA will host a voter registration drive from 1-2 p.m. at Hale Library, the Student Union and the Staley School of Leadership Studies.

A resolution to commend the K-State Black Student Union on its “campus engagement and leadership on the subjects of diversity, inclusion and social justice” was passed unanimously.

Amendments concerning the process for requesting funds were discussed.

Legislation for academic competition team funding and travel allocations was introduced.

SGA allocated funds for student organizations.

The International Coordinating Council received $740 to host an event, International Week, beginning April 3. This week is intended to bring awareness to the K-State community, promoting cultural diversity and fellowship, including a parade, fashion show, dance lessons and a talent show.

Sigma Alpha Iota was allocated $500 to provide a free admission program of opera scenes to the K-State community on April 25 at All Faiths Chapel.

Pinky Promise KSU will receive $300 to travel to the Heart to Heart Women’s Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, to meet Heather Lindsey, the founder of their nationwide ministry.

The Wildcat Rocketry Club will travel to the Intercollegiate Engineering Rocket Competition in Green River, Utah, in June and will receive $400.

The International Tuba and Euphonium Association was allocated $1,000 to travel to Knoxville, Tennessee, in May to attend an international conference where the club will perform and attend master classes, lectures and performances from field experts. The International Tuba and Euphonium Association will host an open concert to perform after attending the event.

The KSU Strength Club will travel to Las Vegas, Nevada, in July to compete in the United States Powerlifting Association Nationals and will receive $1,000.