BatCats swept by Western Carolina

0
42
Wildcat players look out from the dugout as their team takes on Missouri State University at Tointon Family Stadium on March 13, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State baseball team was swept by Western Carolina on Sunday. The Wildcats had nothing going for them this weekend as the Catamounts always found a way to make a big inning.

On Sunday, the big innings came early as Western Carolina wasted no time by scoring three and four runs in the first two innings, respectively.

The Catamounts were scoreless in the next four innings, but they finished off the job in the seventh with three more runs.

K-State did not have a bad day at the plate. The Wildcats recorded 10 hits. The issue was that no one could find the big hit to drive in a run until late in the game. The two Wildcat runs came in the eighth and ninth innings after the game was already in doubt.

“The big inning is haunting us right now,” K-State head coach Brad Hill said to K-State Sports. “(There are) just way too many big innings that we are giving up, or we are not able to limit or minimize. That hurt ourselves a little bit with the walk and hit by a pitch. We were just not executing pitches in those tight situations that we need to execute.”

The loss went to freshman right-handed pitcher Jacob Ruder, who fell to 0-2 on the season.

Saturday

Both teams started out the game quietly before Western Carolina’s big inning happened. This time it came in the sixth inning. The Catamounts finally got to junior left-handed pitcher Parker Rigler after five shutout innings.

The Wildcats answered with two in the eighth — with RBIs from junior second baseman Jake Wodtke and senior shortstop Tyler Wolfe — but it wasn’t enough.

Senior center fielder Clayton Dalrymple was the only Wildcat who had multiple hits on the day as he went 2-5.

Rigler fell to 2-3 on the season with the loss.

Friday

On Friday night, the Wildcats fell behind 3-0 in the fifth, all of which were unearned runs for senior starter right-handed pitcher Levi MaVorhis. The Wildcats answered right back with four runs of their own to take the lead. Things fell apart, though, with the Catamounts striking for four runs and K-State only striking back with one in the eighth to drop the series opener.

The Wildcats were led by junior first baseman Jake Scudder, who recorded two hits and two RBIs. Junior left-handed pitcher Jordan Floyd took the loss, falling to 1-2 on the season.

Next up for K-State will be a nonconference match in Omaha, Nebraska, on Tuesday as the Wildcats take on the Creighton Bluejays before Big 12 play starts.