K-State rowing returns to Oklahoma for matchup with Tulsa

0
80
The varsity rowing team pushes forward during practice on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The K-State rowing team was in action for the second time this season Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma, against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.

In the first race of the day, the Wildcats’ 3V8 boat finished in second place behind Tulsa’s lightweight boat and ahead of Tulsa’s 3V8 boat.

K-State’s V8A boat won the second race of the day with a time of 8:03.5, roughly five seconds ahead of Tulsa’s V8B boat.

“I thought they did a really solid job,” K-State head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “They raced as planned. Looking at their times, they had no dips in their speed. They did everything right to win the race.”

K-State finished second in both the 1V4+ and 2V4+ races.

Both teams had to find ways to overcome the difficult rowing conditions, which included a strong headwind.

“They did a good job, especially under the difficult conditions,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports.

While the Wildcat veterans succeeded on Saturday, the other boats struggled.

“The first boat, with all of the experience in it, handled the conditions well,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “The other boats with the less-experienced girls in them raced hard but did not race as well as I would have hoped.”

The race Saturday came after a week of spring training in Oklahoma. After being on the water only three times since January, the time on the water was much needed.

“The interesting thing will be seeing how much speed we gained over this week,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “It also allowed me to look at different seating positions. With a week on the water, we have had a few changes.”

The Wildcats will continue to look for times to get on the water as they prepare for their next race on April 2-3 in the San Diego Crew Classic.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.