SGA holds voter registration drive

0
52
George Miller, freshman in civil engineering, registers to vote during SGA's voter drive in Hale Library on March 21, 2016. (Austin Fuller | The Collegian)

The Student Governing Association is holding a voter registration drive on campus this week.

Members of the SGA Governmental Relations Committee are holding the voter registration drive this week from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Locations are Hale Library on Tuesday, the K-State Student Union on Wednesday and the Leadership Studies building on Thursday, according to Jonathan Peuchen, junior in mechanical engineering and chairman of the committee.

Peuchen said registering to vote is a three-step process, and SGA is facilitating the first step and providing information for the second step.

This first step consists of filling out a page of information, the second is proof of citizenship and the third is voting on election day, Peuchen said.

The League of Women Voters of Manhattan-Riley County sponsored the event, provided the registration forms and trained the SGA members who are working the drive, Peuchen said.

The voter registration drive is nonpartisan and any eligible voter may register. Those who wish to register should bring their driver’s license, but they do not need to have proof of citizenship with them, Peuchen said.

Peuchen said the filled-out forms will be given to the Riley County Clerk’s Office. From there, the county clerk will disperse the forms to the appropriate counties.

To prove citizenship, a copy of an acceptable document must be sent to the county clerk. Acceptable citizenship documents include birth certificates, U.S. passports and several others.

Those who are registering to vote “may email, text, fax, postal mail or walk-in your voter registration documents,” according to a card from the Riley County Clerk’s Office.

To contact the Clerk’s Office, the email is voterinfo@rileycountyks.gov, the number to text is 785-317-0467, the fax number is 1-785-537-6394 and the address is 110 Courthouse Plaza, Ste B118.

Erin Woods, junior in mass communications and SGA senator, worked the voter registration table Monday afternoon.

“It’s really difficult to get college students and people in my age group to vote,” Woods said. “This is an opportunity to interact with people in my age group and people that have the lowest voting turnout and encourage them to vote because these issues are arguably most applicable to people in our age range.”

George Miller, freshman in civil engineering, registered to vote at the drive Monday. He said he turned 18 last April but registered now because of the convenience of the voter registration drive and the election this year.

“It is important to vote because some people in the world don’t get to vote, and we do,” Miller said.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.