Wildcat tennis sweeps UMKC

0
33
Millie Stretton, freshman, reaches for the ball served up against Denver University during her match on March 4, 2016, at Mike Goss Stadium. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State tennis team swept the UMKC Kangaroos in a 7-0 victory Saturday to improve its record to 8-7 on the season.

The Wildcats began the day by winning the doubles point with new teammate pairings to give them a 1-0 lead in the match.

K-State also switched the order of the singles players as the team was struggling coming into the match. Freshman Ana Garcia Navas continued to be in the No. 1 singles position and got a victory in straight sets by scores of 7-5 and 6-4 to make the overall score 2-0.

“I thought we did a good job considering the court conditions were a little tough,” K-State head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “Some courts started a little slower in singles, but we were able to regroup and stay focused on what we needed to do.”

Freshman Millie Stretton made another move up for the Wildcats, moving into the No. 2 position for the team. She also got a straight-set victory in an easy fashion, winning 6-1 and 6-2 and sending K-State up 3-0.

Junior Iva Bago struggled in her first set in the No. 3 position, and she lost 4-6. The next two sets went her way, though, and she recorded a comeback victory, winning those sets 7-5 and 7-6.

Two Wildcats made debuts on the season in this match in both singles and doubles. The players, juniors Maria Panaite and Palma Juhasz did not have any issues, and they both won in straight sets in singles to help put an exclamation point on the victory for K-State. Panaite won 6-2 and 6-0 while Juhasz won 6-4 and 6-0.

“Seeing (Juhasz) out there playing singles today, knowing how hard she worked the past 11 months, was truly special,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “This kid is tough as nails, and I am so proud of her for this long battle coming back to singles play.”

With the victory, K-State improved to 3-0 against UMKC in the all-time series.

The Wildcats take on Texas Tech Friday in Lubbock, Texas, and look to bounce back in Big 12 play after losing their first two conference matches.