Staley School Ambassadors to host universitywide service event

0
216
Colby Haverkamp, senior in communication studies and president of Staley School Ambassadors, addresses his fellow ambassadors during the organization’s induction ceremony on Nov. 11, 2015. The ambassadors are hosting Paint the Park, in partnership with Manhattan Parks and Recreation, on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Anneberg Park. (File Photo by Erin Poppe | The Collegian)

Staley School Ambassadors will host Paint the Park in partnership with Manhattan Parks and Recreation Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Frank Anneberg Park.

Frank Anneberg Park has undergone some major renovations recently, which include four new synthetic turf infields at the Twin Oaks Sports Complex, one large soccer field of synthetic turf and the resurfacing of the material at the accessible playground, according to Casey Smithson, Manhattan Parks and Recreation superintendent. The students will help paint the buildings at the park to freshen up the presentation and make it more aesthetically pleasing.

“We really wanted to implement a service event that every organization on campus could get involved in,” Colby Haverkamp, senior in communication studies and president of the Staley School Ambassadors, said. “There has been an outcry from students that there is not enough intermixing between organizations, and we hope this event can be a stepping-stone to being more inclusive.”

Haverkamp said he got the idea for a universitywide service event from the University of Kansas’ annual week of service, Into the Streets, which allows students from across campus to participate in service events in the surrounding area.

Haverkamp said he then reached out to Manhattan Parks and Recreation for service project ideas that could benefit the entire Manhattan community.

“I am always pleased when a student or civic organization reaches out to me in order to help us provide safe and clean park and recreation facilities,” Smithson said. “Anneberg is a highly utilized park with hundreds of community members participating in one of the many outdoor opportunities available.”

Frank Anneberg Park serves as the primary location for softball and soccer leagues in Manhattan. The park offers additional trail and fishing pond access as well as open green space to enjoy the outdoors, Smithson said.

When the students arrive on site, they will be split into groups and each group will be led by a Staley School Ambassador. Haverkamp said the goal is to get students who have never interacted with each other before to meet and build relationships through service.

“Anneberg was selected due to major renovations being done to athletic fields in the park, and we want to address as many aesthetic items as possible to coincide with the large work,” Smithson said.

Haverkamp said students from all organizations and affiliations are invited to volunteer at the event.

“Ultimately, I just really hope students can come together and show everyone what it means to be ‘family’ here at K-State,” Haverkamp said.

Lily Anderson, freshman in business administration and member of Delta Delta Delta, said she heard about the event through her sorority.

“It sounded like a fun event to be involved in,” Anderson said. “As a freshman, it is difficult to step out of your box, but I think it is important to be involved because it has been one of the main reasons K-State felt like home to me so quickly.”