BatCats look for 1st win in Big 12 play against Red Raiders

0
27
Senior Tyler Wolfe makes it back onto first base before an Oklahoma State University player could tag him out during the Wildcats' game on March 24, 2016, at Tointon Family Stadium. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State baseball team will turn its attention to the Texas Tech Red Raiders this weekend as they travel to Lubbock, Texas, for a three-game series.

The Wildcats are coming off a 14-10 loss to Oral Roberts inside Tointon Family Stadium on Wednesday in extra innings. K-State is 12-14 overall this season and 0-3 in Big 12 play after being swept by Oklahoma State last weekend in Manhattan.

“That was rough,” head coach Brad Hill said after Wednesday’s game. “It was a great comeback by us. We pitched awful today, to put it bluntly. We hit well enough to win the game. We needed the bigger hits in there at the end, and we could not get them.”

Wildcat junior infielder Jake Wodtke is leading the offense with 26 runs, 36 hits and a team high of 24 RBIs. Senior outfielder Clayton Dalrymple has a team high of 28 runs scored, seven doubles and 36 hits. Against Oral Roberts, Wodtke and Dalrymple combined for five of the Wildcats’ 20 hits in the game.

The Wildcats are 0-2 in extra-inning games after losing 5-4 in ten innings to Oklahoma State this past Saturday.

The Red Raiders have had a good start to the season and are playing pretty good baseball as of late.

Texas Tech has won six of the past seven games, including a sweep of Oklahoma last weekend at home. The Red Raiders also played two games this week when they traveled to Las Vegas to take on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. They split the two-game series against the Runnin’ Rebels with an 8-5 loss on Monday and a 14-6 win on Tuesday.

Texas Tech is 17-8 this season and 5-1 in conference play. The Red Raiders won two out of three in the Big 12 opening weekend against Baylor in Waco, Texas.

Sophomore infielder-outfielder Tanner Gardner is leading Texas Tech. He is batting over .400 with a team high of 39 hits and 25 runs.

The Red Raiders also have lots of power at the plate as they have four players with at least three home runs and have combined for 18 home runs as a team this season.

Last season, Texas Tech won two out of three games against the Wildcats in Manhattan.

This weekend is the first actual road series for the Wildcats since they opened the season at the University of California, Riverside.

First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. Friday at Rip Griffin Park in Lubbock, Texas.