K-State tennis heads to Texas for weekend matches

0
74
Livia Cirnu, junior, returns the ball against Denver University during the Wildcats games at Mike Goss Stadium on March 4, 2016. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State women’s tennis team is heading to Texas for two matches against ranked opponents Texas Tech and TCU.

The Wildcats will take on the No.13 Red Raiders at 5 p.m. today in Lubbock, Texas. Then they will take on the No. 35 Horned Frogs on Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Texas Tech and TCU are amongst the best in the country, so playing them is always a challenge, and even more so in their home facilities,” K-State head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “I do believe, however, that this should give us the ability to play without pressure and swing freely. Regardless of who we play, we always need to focus on ourselves and do the things we can control well.”

The Wildcats will have their toughest test in the singles matches against a young Texas Tech team. Three of the Red Raiders singles players have 10-plus wins up to this point in the season: freshman Felicity Maltby, sophomore Sarah Dvorak and sophomore Sabrina Federici.

Texas Tech is a top 15 team for a reason, so it won’t be easy for K-State. The Red Raiders also have past success on their side of this matchup. K-State is 12-15 all time against Tech and are 2-10 against them since 2006.

TCU is also a very good, experienced team, which is good to have in the tough Big 12 Conference. Junior Seda Arantekin has been the most consistent singles player for the Horned Frogs so far this season. She boasts a 7-1 record.

The Wildcats have not defeated TCU since they joined the Big 12 during the 2012-13 season. There is no better time than this season for the Wildcats to get their first in-conference victory over the Horned Frogs.

“We are coming off of a good win, and I think this weekend is another great opportunity for us to compete against the best and push ourselves to that next level,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports.

The Wildcats will have their hands full this weekend, but this young team might have what it takes to earn two upset victories to propel them for the rest of the season.

K-State will be on the road again next time out as they will travel to Iowa State to take on the Cyclones April 8.

First serve is scheduled for 5 pm at McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas.