BatCats swept in second straight Big 12 series

0
43
Clayton Dalrymple, senior outfielder, looks at the ball after hitting it during the game against Creighton on March 9, 2016, at Tointon Family Stadium. K-State defeated Creighton 8-2. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

The Wildcats traveled to Lubbock, Texas, over the weekend to take on Texas Tech and were swept for the second straight weekend. They are still winless in the Big 12 after six attempts.

In game one, the Wildcats got down early and never make their way back as the Red Raiders used a seven-run second inning in the winning effort.

That inning featured nine straight hits for Texas Tech against K-State senior pitcher Levi MaVorhis after he retired the first batter of the inning.

The Wildcat bats were slow to get going — after only one hit in the first four innings, K-State ended with 10 in the game.

Wildcat senior outfielder Clayton Dalrymple had his first career home run in the sixth, which cut the Wildcats’ deficit to 7-2.

The Red Raiders responded with a three-run home run by junior outfielder Stephen Smith, which extended their lead 10-2, and the Wildcats eventually lost 10-3.

Wildcat junior first baseman Jake Scudder led K-State in hits with three in the game, while starting pitcher MaVorhis had eight earned runs and gave up 10 hits in five and two-thirds innings pitched.

The second game of the doubleheader wasn’t much better for the Wildcats, and they suffered a blowout loss.

K-State scored first in the opening frame, but the Red Raiders responded through the next few innings.

They scored four runs between the second and fifth innings, all of which were against Wildcat junior pitcher Parker Rigler.

Most of the offensive damage was by Red Raider sophomore infielder Orlando Garcia, who had two home runs and a triple in the win for Texas Tech.

One of those home runs was a two-run blast in the eighth inning, which made the score 10-1. The Wildcats put up two runs in the ninth inning with a double by senior Tyler Wolfe, but that was all the comeback the Wildcats could muster in their 10-4 loss in game two.

The game was Rigler’s fifth loss in the young campaign as Red Raider freshman pitcher Steven Gingery recorded the win.

In the final game of the series, the Red Raiders came out with another big inning when they scored four runs in the bottom of the third. Garcia continued to hit the ball well as he had a two-RBI double in the inning.

The Wildcats got one of those runs back in the top of the fourth, but Smith homered in the bottom half of the inning, giving the Red Raiders a 5-1 lead.

Wildcat freshman Josh Rolette had a RBI and Moore provided two RBIs in the fifth inning to cut the deficit to 5-4.

Smith was at it again, though, as he had another solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to extend the lead to 6-4.

The Wildcats made a comeback in the ninth when they scored a run and had the tying run at third with two outs, but they were unable to tie it and ended up falling 6-5 to Texas Tech.

K-State is now 0-6 in Big 12 play and will travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to take on former conference foe Nebraska at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday.