Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Sigma Phi team up to benefit Reading is Fundamental

0
111
Attendees of the Kappa Kappa Gamma and Delta Sigma Phi philanthropy eat their ice cream at the Kappa Kappa Gamma house on April 3, 2016. The philanthropy benefitted Reading is Fundamental. (Kaitlyn Heier | The Collegian)

Students and community members joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Delta Sigma Phi fraternity for an all-you-can-eat ice cream buffet at the Kappa Kappa Gamma house Sunday evening.

Proceeds from this event, dubbed “Sundae Funday,” will be donated to Reading is Fundamental, an organization that provides books to children in need. Kappa Kappa Gamma regularly serves RIF as a philanthropy cause, according to Kelsie Bigenwalt, junior in communication sciences and disorders and Kappa Kappa Gamma president.

“It’s more common than you would think, that kids don’t have books in their home, so we do different things throughout the semester that promote reading and getting kids involved with books in school,” Bigenwalt said.

Kappa Kappa Gamma has held other events for RIF in the past, including one during which the women of Kappa Kappa Gamma participated as pen pals, read to and gave books to local first graders, Bigenwalt said.

During the Sundae Funday event, students and other supporters who donated $5 were invited to make their way through the ice cream buffet and socialize in Kappa Kappa Gamma’s house.

Ava Connell, 6, of Manhattan, attended the event. Connell said she believes helping to support RIF is important because reading feeds kids’ imaginations.

“Books are fun and they have adventures in them,” Connell said.

Bigenwalt said this event was not the first time Kappa Kappa Gamma has collaborated with Delta Sigma Phi.

“We decided to get sororities and fraternities mixed together so we had more of a Panhellenic-type relationship, getting everyone involved with each other,” Bigenwalt said. “Working with them is awesome.”

Mario Garcia, sophomore in family studies and Delta Sigma Phi president, said the fraternity and sorority’s philanthropy chairs worked together to plan the joint event.

“Our philanthropy chairs and Kappa Kappa Gamma’s came together and decided that this would be a good idea and just another option to bring the K-State community together for some ice cream that would go to a good cause,” Garcia said.

RIF is a cause that hits home for members of Delta Sigma Phi, as well, Garcia said.

“For Delta Sig, one of our main focuses and call to action is just for the community, and just going back to younger students getting to have access to books and that educational format of reading and growing in that experience is just something that we find super special and meaningful,” Garcia said.

Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.