K-State men’s golf finishes 5th at Old Waverly

0
24

K-State men’s golf finished in fifth place at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship in West Point, Mississippi, after a solid, if not spectacular, final round on Tuesday.

The Wildcats avoided big numbers in their final round, recording only two double bogeys as a team compared to the six and seven they carded in their first and second rounds, respectively. The team finished the tournament in fifth place with a 54-hole score of 19-over-par 883.

“Overall, I thought there were some things we could build on going forward,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “The guys competed well, and we did a better job of avoiding the big numbers, which had plagued us on Monday.”

Junior Matt Green recorded his first top-five tournament finish of the spring after recording a 1-over-par 73 final round. Green finished in a tie for fourth place with a 54-hole score of even-par 216.

This was the first top-five finish for Green since tying for fifth place at the David Toms Intercollegiate in October.

“I’m really proud of (Green),” Robbins said. “He was very solid again this week, as he has been all spring.”

Freshman Andrew Beckler recorded his best finish as a Wildcat this spring by avoiding big mistakes and shooting a 2-over-par 74 final round. Beckler finished the tournament with a 6-over-par 222 score and in a tie for 22nd place.

Senior Kyle Weldon finished as the third best Wildcat of the tournament, recording only one birdie in the final 18 holes. Weldon shot a 5-over-par 77 in the final round, bringing his 54-hole score to an 8-over-par 224, which was good for a tie in 28th place.

Freshman Jeremy Gandon started his final round moving his way to 3-under through 12 holes before cooling down to finish the round with a 2-over 74. Gandon finished the tournament in a tie for 37th place with a 54-hole score of 9-over-par 225.

Rounding out the Wildcats’ lineup was junior Connor Knabe, who finished in a tie for 41st place. Knabe shot a 4-over 76 in his final round, giving him a tournament total of 10-over-par 226.

The Wildcats will send two golfers to compete in the Oral Roberts Shootout on April 11-12, but as a team, they will be off for roughly two weeks before heading to Iowa City, Iowa, April 16-17 for the Hawkeye Intercollegiate.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.