Wildcats cool off after hot start at Old Waverly

0
71
Sophomore Trent Evans, chips out of the bunker on hole 8 at Colbert Hills on October 1, 2015, during a team golf practice. (File photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State men’s golf team got out to a great start Monday morning before cooling off later in the day at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship on Monday in West Point, Mississippi.

The Cats started out the morning by starting 11-under par on the front nine, carding 11 birdies and leading the field. Unfortunately the back nine was a completely different story for K-State as they recorded seven bogeys and four double bogeys. They finished out the morning 18 holes at 1-under par 287.

The Cats couldn’t overcome their disappointing finish on the morning 18, struggling with the afternoon’s 18 holes as well.

While the team did record 14 birdies in the second round, they also carded 17 bogeys and seven double bogeys. The Cats finished at 11-over par 299 for the round.

After the day’s play K-State sits at 10-over par 586 through 36 holes. They currently sit in a tie for fourth place and are 14 shots behind the leader McNeese State.

Individually, junior Matt Green led the Wildcats, recording a 1-under par 143 through two rounds. Green shot just his third round of over-par golf this spring during the afternoon round, however still sits in a tie for fourth place.

Senior Kyle Weldon was the second best golfer on the day for the Wildcats shooting a 3-over par 147 good for a tie for 25th place. Freshman Andrew Beckler was just behind him shooting a 4-over par 148 and in a tie for 32nd place.

Rounding out the lineup for K-State were junior Connor Knabe and Freshman Jeremy Gandon. They finished the first day at a 6-over par 150 and a 7-over par 152 respectively.

The Wildcats will look to gain ground tomorrow morning with the final 18 holes of the tournament.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.