Letter from BSU: #TheBlackExperience #InheritTheRevolution

0
71

K-State’s award-winning Black Student Union held a general body meeting with representatives from Target, who presented internship opportunities within the company and gave students helpful interviewing tips.

“Target offers more than folding clothes, they have many internships that college students are unaware of,” Ronesha Cobb said.

Cobb is the executive team leader, who supervises the sales associates at Target located in Manhattan, Kansas. A senior majoring in marketing, Cobb was offered a summer internship in Dallas at the K-State Career Fair. Serving as treasurer for the Big 12 Council gave her the necessary experience to qualify her for the position.

“ I loved every moment of my internship,” Cobb said. “I was just a little sponge absorbing tons of information.”

Cobb educated students on the culture and different opportunities Target offers. Her counterpart, Clayton Holmes, assisted and presented students with the S.T.A.R. method. S.T.A.R. is an acronym for situation, task, action and result. This method is used for interviewers to determine how the interviewee would react in their field by exploring personal situations. Holmes presented a game to the students, which allowed them to practice using the method.

“Playing the game is a fun way to put the method into practice,” Holmes said. “Everyone gave great answers. It was hard to choose one winner.”

Holmes is the current executive team leader at Target in Salina, Kansas. He was a member of the BSU at Kansas University. Holmes was excited to meet members of the BSU. He constantly congratulated the members on their success on winning the “Clarence Wine Most Outstanding Big 12 Council of the Year.” Holmes was proud to see young minority students are making a difference on and off campus.

“I love coming back and serving my community,” Holmes said. “This is what it is all about, inspiring others and making an impact.”

“The Target meeting was a great networking experience for students,” Tamyia Rowell said. “It was fun and we learned some valuable professional tips along the way.”

Rowell is a senior majoring in operations and supply chain management. She has been apart of BSU for four years. Currently, she is the special programs director for BSU. Networking at a BSU meeting landed her an internship with Target in the Wichita area.

“Working for Target is an exciting transition in my life, I am ready to take on this new journey,” Rowell said.

At the end of the meeting, Cobb made a connection with some students of BSU. He made it a point that he wanted to help our community in any ways possible. Cobb mentioned that he would make himself available to help students with their resume and networking skills.

“I took away some great advice from future co-workers,” Rowell said. “They do not call it Target-Takeways for no reason.”