SGA swears in newly-elected student body legislators

0
99
Jessica Van Ranken, junior in political science, embraces Andy Hurtig, senior in accounting and former SGA president, after she was sworn in as the new student body president of the Student Governing Association in the Big 12 Room of the Student Union on April 7, 2016. (Miranda Snyder | The Collegian)

As of Thursday, two new yet familiar faces can be found behind the unofficial president’s desk in the K-State Student Union’s Big 12 Room.

Jessica Van Ranken, junior in political science, and Trenton Kennedy, sophomore in entrepreneurship, were sworn in as student body president and vice president as members of the Student Senate were also sworn in.

After they were sworn in, Van Ranken and Kennedy embraced Andy Hurtig, senior in accounting and former SGA president, and Joe Tinker, senior in psychology and former SGA vice president.

The student body senators then took their oaths of office by college and introduced themselves to the Senate.

The meeting was conducted by Kurt Lockwood, senior in agricultural economics and outgoing speaker of the senate, because a new speaker of the senate has not been elected.

Jack Ayres, senior in chemical engineering, and Chance Hunley, senior in agricultural communications and journalism, were nominated to replace Lockwood. Each candidate spoke before the Senate on why he would make a good speaker.

One of Ayre’s points was that the Senate should create more special committees to analyze issues that SGA rarely considers.

“We’re really good at taking a magnifying glass to little things in Senate, amending an amendment about an amendment … but I think sometimes we have a little of a hesitation to remove the magnifying glass,” Ayres said.

Hunley said senators be more engaging to the student body.

“I fell in love with SGA,” Hunley said. “I got sucked in and hooked by the ability for all of us to represent constituents at the university level, but not only that, represent people on issues that seriously matter.”

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.