News Briefs

0
157

Schulz’s salary to increase with move to Washington State University

K-State President Kirk Schulz will be receiving a salary increase at his new job at Washington State University, according to the Manhattan Mercury.

As the University president at WSU, Schulz will be paid more than $625,000 a year, the Manhattan Mercury reported.

At K-State, Schulz’s base salary is $476,290, according to the K-State fiscal year 2016 budget.

College of Veterinary Medicine succeeds in treating disease

K-State’s College of Veterinary Medicine has found a treatment for feline infectious peritonitis, a fatal virus, according to a K-State Today press release.

According to the release, Yunjeong Kim, associate professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology, along with his collaborators, “developed an antiviral compound for feline coronavirus associated” with FIP.

“FIP is caused by coronavirus infection,” Kim said to K-State Today. “Coronavirus infections are very common among cats. However, in most cases, these viral infections cause mild and self-limited enteritis or no symptoms. But some cats will develop a fatal disease which is FIP.”

The virus is typically found in cats ages 2-3 years old or younger, Kim said to K-State Today.

“This is the first time we showed experimental evidence of successful treatment of laboratory cats at an advanced clinical stage of FIP,” Kim said to K-State Today.

Jamie Teixeira
    My name is Jamie Teixeira and I am a senior English and journalism with a minor in Leadership. I am the president of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, a tutor at the K-State Writing Center,and a member of the K-State Tap Dance Ensemble. My future plans are to become an editor or publisher of children's literature. Outside of school I love to read and cuddle with my kitten, Bert.