Myers to serve as K-State interim president

1
260

Retired Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers has been appointed as interim K-State president, as announced by the Kansas Board of Regents Thursday morning.

Myers is a graduate of K-State, earning a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering in 1965 and an MBA from Auburn University, according to his K-State online profile.

Myers was vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the commander in chief of the North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Space Command, commander of Pacific Air Forces and commander of U.S. Forces, Japan, during his career, according to his K-State online profile.

Myers is the chairman of the KSU Foundation’s Board of Trustees and a member of the K-State College of Engineering Hall of Fame.

Myers will make a statement and answer questions at a press conference on April 20, according to the Kansas Board of Regents.

Jolene O’Donnell, junior in elementary education and German, said she thinks Myers’ passion for K-State will serve the university well during his time as interim president.

“I think it’s awesome,” O’Donnell said. “When I was in the Air Force ROTC program, I actually got to meet and get to talk to Gen. Myers, and he’s really enthusiastic about K-State, and especially about the ROTC program, which is important to me. I think he’ll do a great job. He knows what it’s like to be a K-State student. He’s been in our shoes.”

Danielle Cook
Hey there! I'm Danielle Cook. I'm currently a freshman in journalism and mass communications. I live for telling true stories, so I hope to be doing it for the rest of my life. Luckily, I also live for late nights and early mornings – as long as there's coffee and I'm in good company.