Apparel and textile design students put on fashion show

0
241
Brooke Wallace, senior in apparel and textiles, received the title of best of runway show during the Showcase of Excellence: Runway Show at the K-State Alumni Center on April 21, 2016. (Miranda Snyder | The Collegian)

Students and faculty, along with their friends and families, filled nearly every available seat in the Alumni Center ballroom Thursday evening to watch a runway show featuring the designs of K-State students.

The Department of Apparel, Textile and Interior Design’s Showcase of Excellence, was part of the 12th annual ATID Student Symposium.

In addition to the runway show, there was also a mounted exhibit for the students’ designs in the Alumni Center lobby. Guests could read about the designs in a more in-depth manner, and learn about some of the ideas and concepts behind the designs, or even information such as a design’s target demographic.

The designs followed the symposium theme of “Your Strengths, Your Future.” The theme references the StrengthsQuest “Clifton StrengthsFinder” assessment. Students had to take their strengths from the Clifton StrengthsFinder and incorporate it into their design in some way.

Elena Andrus-Lefever, senior in apparel and textiles design, whose design took first place in the runway show award category, said her design reflected her strength of achievement.

“One of my strengths was Achiever,” Andrus-Lefever said. “I went for a design that looked royal, to portray a royal person who had accomplished a lot.”

In order to capture a “royal feel,” Andrus-Lefever said she had to “do a lot of research.”

“I was working from historical designs, but there’s a lot of gaps in that information,” Andrus-Lefever said. “So I had to piece together or fill in those gaps in my design.”

According to Andrus-Lefever, students had approximately three weeks to produce their designs— a week to come up with the design, a week for patterning the design and a week and a half to sew the design.

Jaliyah Brown, junior in apparel and textile marketing, said the show gives students a chance to “showcase what they’ve been doing.”

“You get to show your work off to everyone, and you get valuable experience from making your design,” Brown said. “It also highlights work done by secondary students.”

In addition to K-State students, Kansas students from seventh to 12th grade could also submit designs or clothing sewn using a commercial design. Brown explained that this “let ATID see work from up and coming designers and possible future students.”

Sherry Haar, professor of apparel and textiles, said this was the second year the event was run as a class.

“We were more efficient the second time around, the execution was smoother,” Haar said.

Haar said she is already thinking about what comes next.

“We had 151 submissions this year and every single piece has such a great story behind it,” Haar said. “Next year, I would really like to find a way to tell those stories.”

This year’s event was a success, according to Brown.

“We had a good turnout this year; the ballroom was pretty much full,” Brown said. “We’re all really happy with the amount of people that showed up to support the students.”

Andrus-Lefever said she hopes that support will continue.

“People should come next year and support the program,” Andrus-Lefever said. “It’s a lot of fun for us, it gives us good experience and it lets the community get involved with what we’re doing.”