Women’s golf tees off in San Antonio for Big 12 Championship

0
36
Junior Madison Talley powers through her stroke off the eighth hole at Colbert Hills on Sept. 8, 2015, during the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

After a ninth-place finish in last season’s Big 12 Championship, K-State women’s golf is looking to complement a nice season with an even nicer finish this year.

“The team is looking forward to San Antonio and the Big 12 Championship after the strong finish in Lubbock,” K-State head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “They have been playing and practicing well.”

After taking the last two weeks off, the Wildcats will be back in action this weekend at Dominion Country Club in San Antonio. This is the second year in a row that the Big 12 has made itself at home in the Alamo City.

Leading the way for the Wildcats this season has been junior Madison Talley. She has carded three top-five finishes and six top-20 finishes this season.

Talley leads K-State in rounds at or under par with 13. She also has a stroke average of 73.24, which is the lowest on the team.

Talley will be joined by sophomore Connie Jaffery, junior Katherine Gravel-Coursol, freshman Chloe Weir and junior Paige Nelson.

Jaffery led the team in last year’s Big 12 Championship.

K-State will tee off at 10 a.m. today and will be paired with Oklahoma and Kansas. The Wildcats will be looking to top their best finish in the Big 12 Championship, which was fourth in 2009.

Timothy Everson
Tim Everson was born in Wichita, KS in 1994. Before fifth grade he moved up to Manhattan for one year before settling in Riley, KS where he graduated from Riley County High School in 2012. Tim has worked for the Collegian since spring of 2014 and took over as Sports Editor during the summer of 2015. Tim loves sports, music, movies and good food when he can get it.