Severe thunderstorms, hail sweep through Manhattan

0
1721
A Jeep drives through the flooded streets of Aggieville on April 24, 2016, after heavy rains hit Manhattan. (George Walker | The Collegian)

Evening storms hit Manhattan and surrounding areas Sunday night, bringing with them hail and tornado warning conditions. By 9:30 p.m., the National Weather Service reported more than 3 inches of rain fell in the area and placed southeastern Riley County in a flash flood warning until 1:30 a.m. Monday morning.

Multiple reports of the storm came in on social media from those who experienced it firsthand.

Earlier in the evening, students living in the residence halls were moved to the basements during a tornado warning that lasted from 7:35 to 8 p.m.

According to the National Weather Service, more potentially damaging storms are likely to pass through Tuesday afternoon and into the evening.

Photos from Sunday

04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.01.jpg
Students stand atop the K-State Parking Garage to watch as a severe thunderstorm approaches Manhattan on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.05.jpg
Filip Stanek, undergraduate in computer science, Lin-Chieh Fang, undergraduate in business administration, David Handset, sophomore in electrical engineering, Max Stieben, freshman in criminology and Scott Fritton, freshman in mechanical engineering, look out of the K-State Parking Garage as severe weather approaches Manhattan on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.04.jpg
Cars line up to enter the K-State Parking Garage as severe weather approaches Manhattan on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.06.jpg
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.07.jpg
Lightning illuminates the sky behind Varsity Donuts during a thunderstorm in Manhattan on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.08.jpg
Two people run through Aggieville during heavy rain on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)
04.24.16.Thunderstorm.GW.03.jpg
Lightning illuminates the sky behind Bill Snyder Family Stadium during a thunderstorm in Manhattan on April 24, 2016. (George Walker | The Collegian)

Purchase a Photo