Byron Pringle’s electrifying performance at the spring game shows great potential

0
471
Sophomore wide receiver Byron Pringle (purple) attempts a catch over senior defensive back Tevin Geddis in the second quarter of the annual Purple-White Spring Game on April 23, 2016, in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. The Purple team beat the White team 35-21. (Parker Robb | The Collegian)

The wide receiver position was one of the biggest weaknesses for the 2015 K-State football team. This year’s team looks like it might have a man who can help make the receiver’s group a key to the team in 2016.

Sophomore Byron Pringle from Tampa, Florida, is his name. He came to K-State from Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas. Pringle was a highly touted receiver for the Grizzlies and was listed as the 44th best prospect for junior college players.

Before the spring game, Pringle even got praise from head coach Bill Snyder.

“He continues to learn the system, and he is learning it rather rapidly. As he does, you see the skill level enhance itself a great deal. He sticks out in my mind,” Snyder said in the Wichita Eagle article “Kansas State coach Bill Snyder glad he took a chance on receiver Byron Pringle.”

With praise like that from Snyder, it gave Wildcat fans an idea of how good this guy could be.

As the spring game began, Pringle immediately made an impact when the purple team stepped onto the field. He was the target for the first three passes from junior quarterback Jesse Ertz. The duo hooked up two of the three times for a total of 43 yards.

On the next drive for the purple team, senior quarterback Joe Hubener found Pringle for a 73-yard touchdown pass, which put him over 100 yards receiving in the first quarter on only three receptions.

“He is someone who will just go get the ball,” redshirt freshman quarterback Alex Delton said to The Wichita Eagle. “He is definitely athletic. His speed and his strength are both eye-catching, but his attack mentality is something that really sets him apart.”

Pringle showed off his speed on that 73-yard bomb with the defender, who had an angle on him to make the tackle, getting left behind as Pringle turned on his jets and took it to the house.

In his Butler days, Pringle also got to return a few kickoffs, so during the spring game Snyder gave him the chance to return one. He did not disappoint on that either as he had a 30-yard return to set up the purple team with good field position.

Pringle ended with 193 all-purpose yards and one touchdown, giving K-State fans a sign of what they have to look forward to for the next couple of years at the wide receiver position.