K-State golf ready for Big 12 Championship

0
80
Junior Matt Green at Colbert Hills during team practice on October 1, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Wildcats’ men’s golf team is prepared for the tough task of competing in the Big 12 Men’s Golf Championship in Trinity, Texas this weekend. The conference has been very good so far this year so a team like K-State will have its hands full.

“We are excited for the Big 12 Championship this year,” K-State head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “Obviously, it’s the strongest overall field we have seen this year and the golf course presents a tremendous challenge. I like where our guys are at right now. They have prepared well, so now it’s just a matter of getting a good game plan together, staying committed to that plan and playing with some confidence.”

K-State will be sending five competitors to the tournament.

Junior Matt Green has been the best golfer for the team throughout the year despite the rough outing he suffered last time out. Green finished tied for 34th at the Hawkeye Intercollegiate after shooting 6-over-par 222. It was the first time this spring he’s finished outside of the top 20.

Freshman Jeremy Gandon sits at the No. 2 position in this tournament for the Wildcats. This is a big stage for the freshman to be on, but with a good performance he would prove his worth in the tough Big 12 Conference.

Senior Kyle Weldon is in the No. 3 position. Weldon is looking to go out with a bang. He has golfed at this course before, but it has been a couple years since then so the course could play differently. Weldon finished the highest on the team in the Hawkeye Intercollegiate. This could be his last tournament so a good showing could help him and the Wildcats.

Another freshman to keep an eye on is Andrew Beckler. He is the No. 4 golfer for K-State. He can continue to build on a good freshman year with a strong performance in the conference tournament. He has improved all year coming into this weekend.

In the No. 5 position, junior Jack Rickabaugh will be making his Big 12 Championship debut. Rickabaugh has had some up and downs in his first year at the Division I level, but that can all change with a good performance and he can build momentum for next year.

Tee times are scheduled for 8 a.m. today.