Gandon finishes tied for fourth at Big 12’s

0
24
Jeremy Gordon, freshman, at Colbert Hills during a team practice on October 1, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The K-State men’s golf team went to Trinity, Texas, and came back tied for sixth with Kansas after the 2016 Big 12 Tournament.

Texas won their fourth Big 12 Championship in a row in dominating fashion, winning by 26 strokes. The Wildcats and the Jayhawks each finished at 33-over par as a team on the weekend to finish 47 strokes behind the Longhorns.

Freshman Jeremy Gandon had an outstanding performance at the tournament as he finished tied at fourth, going 3-under par for the whole tournament. Gandon only finished three strokes behind the tournament leader who was from Oklahoma State. His lowest score of the weekend was a 67, which is what helped propel him to the top-five finish. After the tournament, Gandon received all-tournament honors for the high finish.

Freshman Andrew Beckler also had a strong showing at the tournament. He finished tied for 16th and even had the best score on Sunday for the Wildcats with a 71. For the weekend overall Beckler shot at 7-over par, which put him 13 strokes behind the winner.

“I’m really proud of the team this week,” K-State head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “They did a great job of grinding and hanging in there today even when they weren’t at their best. It was also nice to see our freshmen, (Gandon) and (Beckler) have such a good week playing in their first Big 12 Championship.”

Junior Jack Rickabaugh was next in the standings for the Wildcats. The junior finished tied for 40th at 17-over par. His best round was Sunday when he posted the second-best K-State score with a 72.

Redshirt junior Matt Green continued his recent struggles with the 43rd-place finish. He shot 20-over par on the weekend. His best round came in his final two rounds where he posted 76 on both of them.

Rounding out the Wildcats’ scores for the weekend came redshirt senior Kyle Weldon. In what was probably his last collegiate outing, the senior posted a 23-over par weekend of golf. His best round was his third, where he put in a 72 to make up for his second day’s bad round where he shot an 82.

After the weekend’s performance, there is still high hopes for the K-State program.

“I’m very excited about the future of this program,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We are recruiting the right guys and they represent everything we want to be about both on and off the course. The future is very bright for K-State golf.”

Gandon has a chance to make the NCAA Tournament field with his strong performance in the Big 12 Championships. This will be announced on Friday.