Student performance to help save community auditorium

0
97
The Peace Memorial Auditorium is set to host a fundraiser concert series. (Miranda Snyder | The Collegian)

A stage built as part of a memorial to fallen soldiers of World War II will be filled by the jazz music of K-State students at a fundraiser concert this weekend.

Members of the K-State music fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, will perform “An Evening of Jazz” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

The concert will raise funds for restoration of the lobby and stage of Peace Memorial Auditorium, which was built in honor of the 2,610 Riley Countians who served and the 101 who died in World War II.

“The longer that we continue to do recitals at Peace Memorial, the longer Peace Memorial will stay open,” Henry Law, vice president of Phi Mu Alpha and sophomore in music education, said. “It’s more of a community effort.”

The performance will include various jazz ensembles, including a vocal ensemble, a trombone quartet and a quintet, among others.

Law said jazz was chosen for the concert because Phi Mu Alpha is an American fraternity and encouraged by the national fraternity to play recitals of American music.

“Jazz is just about the only form of music that was created in America, so therefore everything we play stemming from jazz can be tied back to American core values,” Law said.

In a letter to The Collegian, Randi Dale, events chair of Friends of the Peace Memorial Auditorium, said over $150,000 has been raised toward the goal of $500,000.

In the letter, Dale said the members of Phi Mu Alpha have been a blessing with their performances.

“This group of college men and talented musicians have helped us raise money for restoration,” she said in the letter. Dale also said Phi Mu Alpha has strengthened the connection K-State has with the community.

“The connection between the university and Manhattan on this project is awesome,” Dale said in the letter.

Even if students and Manhattan residents cannot donate, Law said they should still come enjoy the music and support the community.

“I would just encourage people to come out, and even if they can’t donate anything, just to show their support of the community of Manhattan,” Law said.

Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.