Time to move out: What landlords expect

0
141
(Graphic by Audrey Hockersmith)

With summer right around the corner, some students are preparing to move out of their current apartments and houses as they make new living arrangements for the next year.

Bill Elliott, a Manhattan landlord, said the key to moving out is to spend time cleaning.

“I expect the place to look the same as when people move in,” Elliott said.

When dealing with moving out, Elliott said he also pays attention to damages.

“I look for any damage outside of normal wear and tear,” Elliott said.

Kim Jager, a Manhattan rental property owner, said she works on an appointment basis when working with tenants moving out.

“We do a walk-through with our tenants first,” Jager said. “That way anything we find, the tenants know about, and after they move out we go back through to check the place and clean.”

Jager said issues she faces when people move out vary from tenant to tenant, but they usually involve pets.

“We have had to remove carpet and fix landscaping from dogs tearing them up,” Jager said.

After the school year, many students begin preparations to start moving out all of their belongings to go home or to another location.

Taylor Scott, senior in animal sciences and industry, said he thinks all the small tasks add up and present the biggest challenges while moving out.

“I personally think (the check-out process has difficulties with) the small details, like the logistics of where and how you are moving all your stuff along with finalizing everything with the landlord and cleaning, are going to be the biggest challenges,” Scott said.

Most landlords have tenants pay a deposit before moving in, which can be returned to the tenant if there are no damages to the property.

Jager said she ensures tenants get their deposit back within 30 days of moving out.

Brian Davied, 2015 K-State alum, said keeping track of deposits and communicating with landlords about them is important.

“Going through the move-out process last year, the best advice I can give is to assure you follow up on your deposit,” Davied said. “Make sure your landlord has your new or permanent address so you can receive it.”

To make the move-out process easier, Elliott said he recommends taking pictures of any questionable damages or marks.

“I would take pictures while moving in,” Elliott said. “Date the pictures and come to an agreement with your landlord.”

Jager said she encourages students not wait until the last minute when it comes to moving out.

“The new tenants want to be able to move in on time, too,” Jager said. “We want to be able to work with them like we have worked with our previous tenants.”