Inside the Kansas House of Representatives

0
110
Big wooden doors open up into the House of Representatives in the Kansas State Capitol third floor on June 9, 2016. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

With Governor Sam Brownback calling a special session to discuss the States school funding crisis, we took an inside look into the room where all the debates will be held starting June 23.

this is an image
Pink columns made from plaster to look like marble line the walls and balconys of the House of Representative in the Kansas State Capitol. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)
this is an image
All chairs to the 125 legislators point to the front desk in the House of Representatives in the Kansas State Capitol. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)
this is an image
The front of the House of Representatives features a grand desk at the front and seats for the 125 legislators elected every two years. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)
this is an image
A seating chart on the front desk to the House of Representatives shows where each of the 125 Kansas legislatures sit in the hall. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

Built in the West wing of the Kansas State Capitol in the late 1880s, it was the second of four wings to be completed. The hall features marble, gold leaf and pink columns made from faux marble surrounding the room.

this is an image
Decrative molding with real gold leaf and painted murals line the ceiling of the House of Representatives in the Kansas State Capitol. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)
this is an image

On the walls are ten Kansas men prominent in the abolitionist, or free-state, movement in Kansas.

this is an image
Chandaliers hang from the ceiling of the House of Representatives in front of prominate Kansas figures painted on the walls on June 9, 2016. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

Outside the main room are small waiting areas with bathrooms and closets.

this is an image
Outside of the main room to the House of Representatives in the Kansas State Capitol are waiting rooms for bathrooms and closets. (Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)
Evert Nelson graduated in Journalism and Mass Communications in 2016. He worked as Photo Editor for the Summer 2016 Collegian and 2012 Royal Purple Yearbook. He also worked as staff photojournalist and reporter during his time as student.