Dogs help relieve stress from first week of classes

0
141
Kansas State students surround dogs to pet away the stress of the new semester on Aug. 24th in the Quad on K-State's campus. Pet the Stress Away is sponsored by the Counseling Services. (Austin Fuller | The Collegian)

Pet Away Stress kicked off Wednesday morning’s Week of Welcome events as seven energetic dogs waited in the Quad for students to get out of class and come play.

Week of Welcome is a Kansas State series of events to welcome new students to campus with an introduction of organizations, places and services, while welcoming returning students back for another semester.

Pet Away Stress is an event sponsored by Counseling Services where dogs and puppies from the Purple Power Animal Welfare Society, also known as Purple Paws, are brought to campus to interact with students.

“We’ve done this event for three and a half years as stress relief for students,” Wendy Barnes, outreach coordinator for Counseling Services, said. “For Week of Welcome, we do it simply because students are starting to miss their animals by now.”

While Pet Away Stress is an opportunity for some students to play with a dog while away from home, others students use it to fill the void of not having a dog.

“I just like dogs because they’re so sweet,” Katie Boling, senior in sociology, said. “I don’t have a dog; I just have a cat, so it’s nice that they have this.”

For students who could not attend the event, there are three more opportunities this school year, one of those this semester.

The next Pet Away Stress will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 12 in the Quad.

“Animals are very soothing,” Barnes said. “It’s a great opportunity for students to blow off some steam, relieve some stress, pet some dogs, meet new people; so it serves as a social activity.”

During these events, donations of food, leashes and pet supplies are accepted by Purple Paws. The dogs brought to campus are typically up for adoption or in need of a foster home.

Other Week of Welcome upcoming events:

Thursday

10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Part-Time Opportunities Fair, K-State Union Ballroom.

11 a.m. to 1 p.m., College of Arts and Sciences Student Research Opportunities Fair, Coffman Commons.

1-3 p.m., Ice Cream Social, Holen Courtyard in front of Bluemont Hall.

5-6 p.m., Transfer Student Meet and Greet, Student Union room 206.

6-8 p.m., Union Expo and Activities Carnival, K-State Student Union.

6-8 p.m., Wildcat Welcome Day (for new and transfer students), K-State Alumni Center.

8:45-10:30 p.m., Outdoor Film: “The Sandlot,” Bosco Student Plaza. Bring a chair or blanket to sit on during the film.

Friday

1-4 p.m., Engineering Student Organization Fair, Engineering Hall Atrium.

1-4 p.m., Westar Energy Free Slushies and Information, Engineering Plaza, Durland Hall.

7-9 p.m., UPC Film: “Captain America: Civil War,” Forum Hall, K-State Student Union. $2 admission; $1 discount with K-State or military ID.

7:30-8:30 p.m., After Hours presents REZA Illusionist, McCain Auditorium.

10-11:45 p.m., UPC Film: “Captain America: Civil War,” Forum Hall, K-State Student Union. $2 admission; $1 discount with K-State or military ID.

Saturday

8 a.m. to noon, Wildcats Run for Wellness 5K, Chester E. Peters Recreation Center.

7-9 p.m., UPC Film: “Captain America: Civil War,” Forum Hall, K-State Student Union. $3 admission; $1 discount with K-State or military ID.

10-11:45 p.m., UPC Film: “Captain America: Civil War,” Forum Hall, K-State Student Union. $3 admission; $1 discount with K-State or military ID.