University announces draft of revised weapons policy

0
534

Kansas State released a draft of revisions to the university’s weapons policy Wednesday. The revisions were made over the summer by the Weapons Advisory Work Group.

No university locations, including classrooms and student residential areas, will permanently prohibit concealed carry. Some locations may temporarily restrict concealed carry while using “adequate security measures,” according to the K-State Today press release.

Under the revisions, open carry of firearms would remain prohibited on campus. Those who concealed carry must comply with all laws and keep the handgun concealed at all times.

People living on campus must comply with all applicable rules and laws, including safe and secure storage. The university will not provide handgun storage devices.

The university will hold an open forum to present and discuss the revised draft weapons policy on Sept. 15 at 2 p.m. in Forum Hall.

The weapons policy will then be submitted to the president for approval in late September, and then to the Kansas Board of Regents in October.

The current exemption for universities to comply with the concealed carry law expires July 1, 2017.

Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.