BSU hosts 22nd annual barbecue for students

0
76
Students join hands and pray before eating at the Black Student Union back to school BBQ in the Student Union Ballroom on Aug. 27, 2016. (Miranda Snyder | The Collegian)

Students filled the Kansas State Student Union ballroom to celebrate the start of the school year with a barbecue hosted by the Black Student Union Saturday. All K-State students were invited to enjoy free food, games and tables set up to learn about multicultural groups on campus.

Bryan Davis, president of the BSU and junior in management information systems, said the barbecue was not just to feed students but also an opportunity for them to professionally develop.

“This is our 22nd annual welcome back celebration,” Davis said. “It’s a weekend full of trying to engage new students and returning students into the culture we have here at Kansas State University. We have sponsors here from Target, Koch Industries, Phillips 66 as well as many other multicultural student organizations.”

Some of the organizations present at the event were the United Black Voices, the Ebony Theatre and the multicultural ambassadors.

Kayla Green, senior in social work, attended the barbecue with her roommate, who was there to promote one of the multicultural organizations on campus.

“(My favorite thing is) the socializing and getting to meet people that are new and campus and all that,” Green said.

Brittany Harden, special programs director of the BSU and senior in apparel marketing, said she wanted to welcome all students back to school but especially the new African-American students to show them that they have a space on campus.

“We really wanted to get them towards the sponsors so that they can know there are opportunities out there for you and we really wanted to get them integrated with the Black Student Union,” Harden said. “It’s mostly just to bring out the community and tell them welcome back to school and lets get ready for the school year.”

The BSU continued its welcome back celebration with its annual All White Party, which was held at the Blue Hills room on Saturday night.

The first BSU meeting of the year will be on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in room 227 of the Union.