Tallulah is bizarre, disturbing, yet not bad

0
117

“Tallulah,” a Netflix original movie, probably has the most dysfunctional characters I have ever seen in a movie. Lu, played by Ellen Page, is an irresponsible free spirit living in the back of a van. She lives off of stolen credit cards, truck stop showers and dumpster food. Then she goes to New York City to find her boyfriend, who had run away and ends up accidentally taking a baby from her drunken mess of a mother.

Acting

The acting wasn’t necessarily poor; it was just awkward. Uncomfortable silences, long stares and more bathtub scenes than most movies make for some strange roles for the actors. They did well with the script they were given. Page, Allison Janney and Tammy Blanchard played deep, complex and completely disturbed women trying to make their way through life in New York City. They’re hard to understand, though, due to random changes in mood and attitudes.

Plot

The plot was unexpected to say the least. The synopsis tells the audience straight up that Lu steals a baby, but it doesn’t tell the circumstances. Without giving too much away, I can say they are really messed up circumstances. For someone who just wants to relax and watch a movie while doing homework, this movie might be a little heavy. To fully understand what is happening, you would have to really pay attention and analyze.

The plot revolves around the worst, most eccentric characters. Following the homeless girl struggling with finding her way in life, the trophy-wife struggling with her self-esteem problems and the divorcee woman working on her abandonment issues, “Tallulah” is a really bizarre coming-of-age movie.

Cinematography

There are moments where the camera is really shaky, giving the audience maybe a slight headache. Surely it was done for dramatic effect, but it seemed awkward and a tad overused in some spots.

Otherwise, the movie has some really interesting scenes shot around New York City, which was the perfect place to film this movie. All of the random, ordinary people walking around the characters seemed to be the perfect backdrop for the main character’s quirks to shine through.

Overall, this movie deserves four out of five stars. It was the strangest, most thought-provoking movie about what keeps people going when they have nothing. That being said, I felt really disturbed by the end of the movie. I have to say that I liked the movie but would probably have a hard time recommending it to someone just looking for something light-hearted to watch.

Kelsey Kendall
Hi everyone! I'm a senior in journalism and cultural anthropology. My favorite things are storytelling, coffee and meeting new people. In that order.