Kansas official meets with SGA

0
51

The Kansas insurance commissioner asked the Kansas State Student Governing Association for help Thursday.

Ken Selzer, Kansas insurance commissioner and a K-State graduate, spoke at Thursday’s SGA meeting about an upcoming competition among the state’s universities.

The competition will pit the supporters of the universities against each other to see who signs the most pledges to not text and drive.

“I need you to get this out to your groups of friends, to your networks,” Selzer said. “You are the most influential people on this campus … clearly your networks are the influential networks … Ask your friends to sign the pledge.”

Selzer predicted K-State will win the pledge competition.

“K-State has better connectivity to its alums than any other school in the Big 12 and most other schools in the country do,” Selzer said.

According to the K-State Alumni Association website, it ranks in the top five in the nation for percentage of graduates who are members.

The competition will start Sept. 19 and run to Nov. 22. At an SGA meeting last semester, Selzer said the winner would likely be announced at the K-State versus KU football game Nov. 26.

To take the pledge, text “Wildcat” to 50555 or visit www.ksinsurance.org/justdrive during the competition.

SGA also swore in three new senators, the attorney general and members of the student tribunal, among other judicial appointments.

The only two bills on the agenda were sent back to committee for further review.

Senators were also reminded of the various committees needing more members. Students wanting to apply to be at-large members of one of the committees can do so at https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/210346.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.