Manhattan’s League of Women Voters sponsors voter registration trivia night at Arrow

0
51

On most weeknights at Arrow Coffee Co., you would expect to see students studying with their textbooks, laptops and coffee. However, on this particular Wednesday night, the Institute for Civic Discourse and Democracy helped Manhattan’s League of Women Voters hold its first-ever Voter Registration Trivia Night at Arrow Coffee.

Kara Titus, Manhattan resident and participant in the League of Women Voters, organized the event as part of the League’s voter project.

“One of our biggest fears is that come November, people will be turned away from voting booths because they’re not registered,” Titus said. “We wanted to provide young professionals and students with a fun, informational event that showed how easy it is to become a registered voter.”

Since the League of Women Voters is an off-campus organization, Titus said they wanted to engage with more young professionals on campus, so they looked to the institute to help them connect with K-State’s students.

“We love engaging with students, faculty and the community to help them exercise their voting rights,” Donna Schneck, project coordinator for the institute, said. “A lot of students are first-time voters and some are out-of-state, so we work with them to answer their questions about the whole voting process.”

Arrow asked for a $5 cover charge for the event, and players were able to create teams with one to six participants. Six different teams with about four participants in each gathered around tables as they played voter-specific trivia games and sipped on coffee. A total of 20 questions with varying difficulties were asked in a format that included two halves with three rounds per half.

“We asked questions like, ‘when the last day to register to vote is,’ ‘who needs to show citizenship to vote’ and ‘where you can register to vote,’” Titus said.

An informational table was set up with packets of voter registration information. Titus was even able to provide the trivia participants with the resources to register to vote if they desired to.

“I think being able to vote is something that we take for granted,” Elyssa Kohler, registration drive participant and sophomore in psychology, said. “Women in Saudi Arabia were just give the ability to vote, so I think we should take full advantage of our rights in America because voting is fun.”

Although Titus said no one registered to vote, the trivia participants were actively engaged in the information presented toward them.

“Regardless of your party affiliation, it’s important that you’re represented,” Schneck said. “To be represented you have to be a registered voter.”