OPINION: Students need to use the resources available to prepare for life post-graduation

0
74

While I was trying to help a friend create a professional resume for a job he was interested in after college, I started to wonder how many college students are actually prepared for life after graduation. This friend only had one job, with completely unrelated job experience, and no activities or leadership positions to list on his resume.

We managed to put together a professional, if slightly bare, resume, but he can’t be the only one struggling with this issue. Fastweb’s article, “College grads: How your resume should look” describes the perfect resume as containing related work experience, leadership and extracurricular activities, contact information and an objective, yet how many students actually know that in time to do something about it?

This might seem simple enough, but for those who have focused on school their entire time in college, including all of that on a resume could call for some creative thinking.

That isn’t the only problem, though. When it comes to be that time when you’re finally making those professional resumes, it is most likely too late to start doing those resume-building activities.

I once had a professor say GPA doesn’t matter to employers if an applicant has zero experience in the field they are applying in. My professor may have been talking about jobs in journalism, but it applies across all fields.

Sam Korach, graduate student at the Farmer School of Business at Miami University, agrees, saying a high GPA may land you an interview, but it doesn’t mean much compared to experience in his USA Today College article “What employers really look for in recent college graduates.”

This doesn’t mean to completely ignore grades and assignments; it just means don’t forget to gain experience doing what you want to do in the long run.

Without resume-building activities, graduates looking for jobs don’t have much to showcase their qualifications. This is an issue that actually affects their chances.

Students should be looking more into these kinds of activities, and if they aren’t sure what could help, they need to seek out advice. There’s no shame in that. Advisers and the Career Center intend to specifically help students prepare for post-graduation life.

Events happen on campus almost all semester long, and students need to be taking advantage of them from the start. The Career Center conducts mock interviews, holds workshops, offers free professional photos and more for students, according to their Kansas State page. They even have a closet of professional clothes for students going into job interviews.

Taking the time to use these resources and taking their advice can mean less stress when it comes time to start thinking of what life is going to look like after college.

Hi everyone! I'm a senior in journalism and cultural anthropology. My favorite things are storytelling, coffee and meeting new people. In that order.