Bakery science sale raises funds for students to attend national conference

0
354
Gagan Preet Singh, senior in bakery science, prepares bread dough to be baked in Shellenberger Hall for the Bakery Science Club's bake sale that was held on Sept. 21, 2016. (Anna Spexarth | The Collegian)

Homemade bread, chocolate chip and monster cookies and brownies filled carts in Shellenberger Hall on Wednesday afternoon, as the smell wafted throughout the first floor hallway.

this is an image
Gideon Abel Butler Smith, senior in bakery science, demonstrates to Janae Brown, freshman in bakery science, how to form a vienna roll during a Bakery Science Club meeting in Shellenberger Hall on Sept. 20, 2016. The goods baked at the meeting that night were sold at the Bakery Science Club's bake sale the next day. (Anna Spexarth | The Collegian)

The baked goods were made the night before at the Sweet Solutions Bakery, also known as the Bakery Science Club meeting.

At the meetings, more than 40 students come to the meetings and make what will be sold at the bake sale every Wednesday while school is in session. Typically, that includes bread and cookies, in addition to a specialty item. How much they make depends on the week, and even the season.

“Obviously the first week of the semester we made a lot more, but with the construction this year, it’s really hindering our sales and so what we made our first week, we probably would’ve sold out of it, but because of the construction, we didn’t,” Cherilyn E, bake club treasurer and junior in hospitality management, said. “So we’ve been gauging and lowering and it just kind of goes with the flow. Usually, cookies are always in demand. Bread kind of fluctuates — it’s more in demand in the winter, but in the spring and fall, not as high.”

this is an image
K-State's Bakery Science Club sets out samples of cookies during its weekly sale in front of Shellenberger on Sept. 21, 2016. (Emily Moore | The Collegian)

Dave Krishock, Bakers National Education Foundation instructor at Kansas State and faculty adviser for the club, said the Bakery Science Club has been hosting bake sales since at least 1955. Although the group was less active during the 1970s and 80s, they have been producing every year.

Before the group even had the table set up on Wednesday, there was already a small line forming in front of Shellenberger. Within the first five minutes, the few girls running the stand had served 15 customers.

this is an image
Sierra M, freshman in bakery science, assists a customer at the Bakery Science Club's bake sale that was held outside Shellenberger Hall on Sept. 21, 2016. (Anna Spexarth | The Collegian)

One of those customers was Amber Faloona, senior in apparel design, said she has been coming to the bake sales since she started school at K-State. She said she thought the club deserves more credit because the food is “always delicious.”

“This is a student-run business, so it shows support for students when other students buy,” Faloona said. “I would prefer to support a student than say, if a company were to come on K-State’s campus, because it’s showing that we support each other.”

Purchasing from the group supports them in their endeavor to attend the American Society of Baking conference in Chicago in March. All funds raised at the bake sales each week go back to the club to help pay for the roughly 40 students to attend.

“So the funds help us get to Chicago,” E said. “It helps pay for partial reimbursements so we don’t have to pay as much to go and it really helps us so more students can make it to Chicago.”

The experience, Krishock said, includes networking, educational seminars and more.

“It has a show floor with all the latest technology,” Krishock said. “So they can see stuff they never would get to see in the classroom.”

this is an image
Dakota Peterson, senior in bakery science reorganizes cookies at the Bakery Science Club's weekly bake sale on Sept. 21, 2016. (Emily Moore | The Collegian)

In addition to a chance to go to the Windy City, the club teaches students about “leadership, how to run a small business, retail and working with those customers,” Krishock said.

Students may change as they grow into these skills, but there is one thing that hasn’t: the club’s biggest seller, the monster cookie. Members of the club have tried to change it in the past, but the cookies sold in 2016 are made by the same recipe from 1968.

The club meets every Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. to bake goods. Students of any major are welcome to join. While the group will be in or outside of Shellenberger Hall every Wednesday from 3-5 p.m., they can also be found selling treats at the upcoming farmer’s market in Bosco Plaza, hosted by UPC.

this is an image