K-State wins against Missouri State in weather shortened game

Jesse Ertz, #16 junior quarterback, looks to throw downfield during the Wildcats game against Missouri State on September 24, 2016. The Cats won 35-0 after being called early due to weather. (Photo by Evert Nelson)

On a night when Missouri State couldn’t stop Kansas State, Mother Nature did. After many delays, the game was called at half, K-State still easily won 35-0.

The day started with fans tailgating in torrential downpours. The game was initially slated to start at 6:10 but was pushed back to 7:05 after storms pushed through the area.

Once the Wildcats finally got on the field they didn’t look back.

K-State drove down the field on their first possession with little resistance from the Bears. The Wildcats would get stopped on the goal line but went for it on fourth down and converted on a Charles Jones touchdown run.

The rest of the half was more of the same. Quarterback Jesse Ertz ran the offense with ease.

Ertz was seven of eight throwing for 94 yards and two touchdowns. He also showed his ability on the ground he led the Wildcats with 85 yards. Ertz showed his deceptive speed at times, he broke runs for 35 and 40 yards.

Head coach Bill Snyder said Ertz did well.

“His numbers looked awfully good and based on of what I saw he did not make any real mistakes whatsoever. I thought he managed the game, got the snaps off, and did not get any delay of game penalties,” Snyder said. “He threw the ball, I think he was seven out of eight or something like that. Over the course of the ball game he averaged twenty-five yards per carry, so that is not bad at all.

The defense was also sharp on the night. They consistently held down the Bears all half, they only managed 54 yards on 29 plays, they also had just four first downs in their seven first half drives.

For the second straight game K-State was able to force turnovers that led to good field position for the offense.

“I think all season going back to spring ball coaches have stressed that we need to get the ball back to our offense,” Junior linebacker Elijah Lee said. “Anytime we can do that it gives us the opportunity to get points on the board. I think everybody is listening and we just need to keep it up.”

The halftime was originally shortened to 15 minutes before another lengthy weather delay, eventually both coaches decided enough was enough.

Snyder said everyone on both sides wanted to finish but circumstances didn’t allow for that.

“I did want to play, and coach Steckel wanted too as well. We had a lot of guys, twos and threes that we really wanted to get into the ball game,” Snyder said. “I guess there are still more storms coming and consequently– they had to bus over here, so they were talking about a very long travel time, so I get it. I think all of the players wanted to play, on their side as well as ours, but so be it.”

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.